Author Topic: Dog locks,.. are they around?  (Read 3536 times)

J1776

Dog locks,.. are they around?
« on: June 24, 2011, 03:13:20 AM »
Early Dog style locks,.. are originals around to be had?  Are there any craftsmen reproducing them that are quality?
Found a gun with an original recently, but the price of the gun made it impossible to purchase,... nothing crazy as good flintlock guns go, just out of my range.  I had wondered what the chances would be if I tried to talk him out of just the lock!!??  haha  ;)

I've been toying with building an early club butt smoothbore with a dog lock.

Offline Collector

Re: Dog locks,.. are they around?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 03:50:26 AM »
Without checking, possibly The Rifle Shoppe?  You might look-up/check with Middlesex Trading Co.  They make a French 'Fowler' with a Dog Lock.  Interestingly enough, George C. Neumann's,  "The History of Weapons of the American Revolution," features several firearms/muskets with Dog Locks or modified Dog Locks.   Our forefathers were not that prepared when our independence, from England, was declared and they carried and used virtually anything that would shoot.   

Good luck!!

Odd Fellow

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 05:37:09 AM »
Leonard Day

The Rifle Shoppe

Blakely and Sons

Jack Brooks

You could also buy a flintlock and replace the hammer with one from the rifleshoppe castings and buy a dog also and locate plus drill and tap for a halfcock location of a lock up you want.

But what time period are you wanting to portray?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:48:28 AM by Odd Fellow »

J1776

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 08:21:11 AM »
Leonard Day

The Rifle Shoppe

Blakely and Sons

Jack Brooks

You could also buy a flintlock and replace the hammer with one from the rifleshoppe castings and buy a dog also and locate plus drill and tap for a halfcock location of a lock up you want.

But what time period are you wanting to portray?

I have in mind the idea of this,...

It's anywhere from 1765-1770 and I've been captured by native Indians who gave me to one of their family to be adopted into.  As a white man, and finally trusted enough to be given a gun, I ended up with an early, yet still trustful old club butt smooth bore gun. 

OR,..

It's the middle of the F&I War and I took my father's old club butt to protect our family homestead near by a small local garrisoned stockade.  I decided to volunteer with some other locals after the Governor of PA called up volunteers to put together small groups to "range" in between local stockades, forts and block houses. 

Odd Fellow

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 05:46:08 PM »
By chance have you looked around at the different styles of firearms?

If interested you could go much farther back. Here's a few examples:

1637 - THE INDIAN WARS IN THE COLONIES

1643-1645 - Kieft's War in New Netherland

1644-1646 - Third Anglo–Powhatan War

1655-1660 - Peach Tree War

1659-1663 - Esopus Wars

1675 - King Philip's War (1675–76) in New England

1676 - Bacon's Rebellion in Virginia

1715 - Yamasee War in South Carolina colony

1689-1697- King Williams War

1702-1713- Queen Anne's War

1744-1748- King George's War

Here's Some Web Sites thatmight aid in your search:

http://briangodwin.co.uk/index.html

Various forums can prove very helpful

I had a laundry list of others but couldnt find them at the moment. Hope this helps you in your search!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 06:27:27 PM »
Hi Jship,
The Rifle Shoppe and Blackley's both sell castings for doglocks sutiable for your project.  However, you have to clean up the castings, fit and polish them and do the heat treating.  It is not too difficult but may be more than you want to do.  Also, it usually takes forever to get the kits from both of them.  I think Leonard Day sells completed locks and the Rifle Shoppe also sells some that are assembled and heat treated.  Keep in mind that doglocks were reliable but relatively crude.  Most do not have internal bridles.  Another possibility is John Buck.  You might do a Google search for Musket Mart (I think?) and see what he has to offer.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."