Author Topic: Pete Allan Lock  (Read 5062 times)

Offline blackdog

Pete Allan Lock
« on: June 24, 2011, 12:47:33 AM »
Does anyone have any expirience with Allan's round face english lock?  Or know of a resource for information, pictures, parts etc?
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: Pete Allan Lock
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 03:34:35 AM »
I've used them on a few pieces and like them.  Not as heavy a main spring as say, a Chambers, but still function and spark well.  I also like the size, and the thicker bolster.

Tip Curtis sells them and should be able to help you with any questions.  I don't have Tip's # in front of me, sorry, but I'm sure you can find it in a "search".

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline blackdog

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 03:47:16 AM »
Sure, I have his #.   I'm a little hesitant to use a lock parts might not be readily available for, but I was drawn to one because of the size will fit my current build.  Just wanted to make sure there wont be any surprises if/when it shows up.
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Potsy

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 05:36:49 PM »
Just happened to have his card on top one of the piles on my desk.
615-654-4445
FWIW, Pete Allan is casting a couple different locks for him including a pretty good looking late English lock.

Offline blackdog

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 02:44:46 AM »
So are we saying it is comparable to L an R's queen ann?
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 04:51:16 AM »
I don't think finding parts would be a problem,  I'd bet Tip would have them, or could get them.  I don't know about comparisons, but you're not going to get any "surprises" with the Allan lock.  There a good, quality lock, at least that's been my experience.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Mike New

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 04:05:18 PM »
I can not speak on the round face English lock. I am building a rifle now with a Pete Allen lock and I can tell the reason I bought it. I went to Mr. Curtis' shop and told him what I had in mind. He showed me brands "X,Y and Z' then he displayed the Allen lock. I was able to hold each lock in my hands and pick the one I liked the most. Mike S. New   

Offline blackdog

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 04:57:38 PM »
Greenberry, What did you like best about it? Look, function, finish etc?
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Offline Mike New

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 05:05:41 AM »
I liked the smoothness when it was cocked. That is one thing I like about Mr Curtis. You can go in there, and compare side by side locks of different makes. He also pointed out some differences. There wasn't anything wrong with the other locks . I just wanted something a little different. I am still working on my rifle so I can't comment on flint life, but it does spark well. Mike New.