Author Topic: RCA # 63 - A. Verner  (Read 32183 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Re: RCA # 63 - A. Verner
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2011, 04:54:14 PM »
I knew it would shoot well, Too bad you had to get it dirty. Are you going to keep it?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2011, 05:25:29 PM »
Thanks again to all who offered their kind words.
Once I got the sights tapped into the middle, and once I let Daryl talk me into a "decent" load, I could keep them all in about 1 1/4" at 54 yards, but I'm still about 1/2" to the left.  I shot the trail yesterday with it, and I didn't miss many targets.  John Getz said it was a good barrel, and he was right.  The truth is, I have never had a Getz barrel, and I've had lots of them, that didn't shoot well.
The rifle is very pleasant to shoot, and with the hooked breech and slides, it is super easy to clean.  Last night after I cleaned it, I made a new top jaw screw - a little longer in the threaded section, so I can use up some flints that are a little thicker than I like.  Our annual rendezvous is this weekend coming, and I'm looking forward to shooting it again.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2011, 07:29:40 PM »
Taylor, This is a wonderful rifle. I think everything has been said already, but I really like this style of rifle and you really nailed it.

Marc

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2011, 08:43:28 PM »
Wow Taylor! Simply amazing!
I've come to really enjoy your work!
John
John Robbins

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2011, 12:34:50 AM »
Good grief Taylor you just keep getting better an' better. Stunning work.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Dave Waters

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2011, 03:39:46 AM »
Taylor, may I add my small bit and say that your work is truly amazing.
Your dedication to detail is truly inspiring.
Thank you for sharing

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2011, 07:21:17 AM »
The rifle is simply awesome!

I'll have to investigate the browning process that Mr Taylor used, as that is exactly the browning I have always had in my imagination. Smooth like it was blued, but brown!

The more I look at y'alls rifles, the more I figure I better stick to fowlers... At least for a few years!

Thank you for sharing your artwork (That is what we have here!) wth us, it gives me something to aspire to!

Best regards!

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Hunting Late Season Whitetails!

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2011, 01:39:39 PM »
       Taylor, I have built more than a few Bucks Co. guns, plus I have handled "The Verner."  You have done a very credible job especially working from photos.   Your years of experience has served you well in this effort.  I am sure that the pierced extended entry pipe expanded your vocabulary a bit.     Good Job!

Best wishes

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline James

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »
Beautifully done!
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

• Member 3
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2011, 06:33:48 PM »
Many thanks to all of you.

Lucky, I re-learned something about inletting inlays over a serious curve, and I'd like to pass it on.  In the case of the entry pipe, the inlay just aft of it, and the double headed turkey,  there are parts of the metal that leave a space between it and the main body of the inlay.  For example, the wings of the bird stretch rearward, and there is wood between the wing and the body.  As you inlet the metal of the body of the bird into the forend, the wings move toward the barrel.  If you have already made a cut to accommodate the wings, you will have an ever increasing gap between the wings and the body.  To lessen this effect, make the inlay out of relatively thin stock...like .030" thick, and don't complete the curve of the inlay until the body is all the way down.  Using the thinner metal will require that the inlay be seated just below the surface of the wood when completely inlet, so that you dress off the wood down to the metal, rather than the other way around.  If you set the metal in with a little still proud of the wood, and dress it off down to the wood, you'll run out of metal in a few places where you were heavy handed with the file, and engraving will become more difficult, with the chance of perforation, ruining the inlay.  I hope that make sense.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline t.caster

« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2011, 07:49:53 PM »
I've also studied and loved this rifle for many years, also built one, but had to leave off the wire inlays at customers request.
Yours may be the BEST recreation I have seen! WOW! BEAUTIFUL!
Tom C.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2011, 07:52:09 PM »
Hi Taylor
A couple of questions.

Did you engrave all or some of the inlays, etc. on the rifle or off?

Did you soften the corners on the barrel?

Are you going to keep it? ;D I don't know if you have family, but what an heirloom.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:53:58 PM by Micah »

• Member 3
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2011, 08:35:33 PM »
Thanks guys!!  Not having the original on the bench during this build required that I use Shumway's photographs in RCA, and my copy is filled with pencilled notes and measurements.  None of the photos are full scale, so I had to develop a ratio for each one, using known dimensions provided by George.  From this ratio, I was able to determine roughly all of the dimensions that make this rifle what it is.  Factor into that, that I was using a barrel that was 1" at the breech rather than 1 1/16", and the lock plate on the Siler is just a hair short of the original.  But the depth top to bottom, the width and height of the wrist, length of comb, distance between inlays, etc, I meticulously recorded.  Still, I know my inlays won't fit into the original's recesses, and there are several things I would do better if I were to do it again, which I am not.  And yes, I shall keep this one.  I love shooting it.  I love cleaning it!!  I'm very pleased with the rifle.  David Rase cut the barrel channel and drilled the rod hole for me, and he made it exactly as I asked him to.  There is just enough room between the barrel and the 5/16" rod hole for a 8 x 32 tpi lock bolt, and the wood along the bottom of the forend is only about 3/32" thick.  You'd think that a rod tapered from 7/16" to .300" over 48" would not be strong enough to load a tight combo in a .50 cal rifle, but it works great.
I engraved everything right on the rifle.  I have a Gravermeister but still haven't taken the time to set it up and learn how to use it.  I used a 90 degree Glensteel graver set in a 3/8" diameter brass handle driven by a hammer to do almost all the engraving. I have mixed feelings about these gravers.  I have used the same dies sinkers chisels for so many years, using something new and better is not all it's cracked up to be.  For the patchbox, I used countersunk wood screws to hold it down for fit and finish, and for engraving, and replaced them with the spikes when all the finishing was done.
When I drawfiled the barrel, I spent some time on the corners of the flats to soften them, and then went over everything again with 180 grit abrasive cloth.  I carded the barrel between applications (6) with the end of a roll of coarse canvas, which produced a soft yet very smooth brown with no evidence of machine or file marks.  It's a very tough metal finish.
I'm glad you all are enjoying this rifle.  It's a pleasure to present it to such an audience.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline yip

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2011, 04:33:14 AM »
HI TAYLOR; question, the carving,is it all hand or mallet driven? i have a hard time with my incised carving, it could be the chisel, or the way i'm doing it. went out and bought a two cherry "v" 2mm chisel the other day and hope that does the trick, any suggestions? by  the way i'm very impressed, hope to see more of your work

• Member 3
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2011, 04:55:05 AM »
Yip, the secret, if there is one, may lie in the tools, and definitely how sharp they are.  They have to cut without the slightest tearing, or plowing.  They literally glide through the wood with very little pressure.  I don't use a mallet, but my chisels are very small.  I use Dem Bart's chisels which are designed for finishing up chequering, and are sold by Brownell's.  I appreciate your remarks regarding my work.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2011, 01:45:46 PM »
     Perfect sense Taylor.   When I did a copy of the Fort Ticonderoga Shuler which had the same Imperial Eagle as "The Verner," I learned why the old guys used quite thin material (silver) to make such inlays.  You really need to start inletting the inlay at the centerline of the forestock and then proceed outward both ways, wrapping the inlay around the stock to overcome the outward movement as the inlay goes down into the wood. 
     I have removed and reset original inlays that were little more than .010 thick, it is obvious that the original maker worked these down almost to the point of no return....
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

hoochiepapa

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2011, 06:59:38 PM »
 :o Bravo!! Someday I'll be able to make a rifle that fine. I was wondering as I perused your pictures if you were going to follow Verner's trigger plate. Perfect! That is probably the only thing on the one I made that is accurate. Very Nice!!

Offline bob hertrich

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2011, 07:01:56 PM »
Taylor, Beautiful, beautiful rifle. Could you give a little more info on the type varnish that you used?