Author Topic: Question on Finishing a Barrel  (Read 3887 times)

Hungarian

Question on Finishing a Barrel
« on: July 09, 2011, 02:47:35 AM »
Hopefully someone can help me out. I used to go up to Golden Age Arms company before they closed. They had a rifle on the wall up there that had a barrel that was not browned or blued. It was a smooth finish (not like a new green mountain barrel) but it wasn't bright or shiny and looked slightly aged. I asked the guy helping one day how it was made and he said that I would have to ask the maker. I never did get a chance to ask before they closed. Can anyone help tell me how a finish like this could be done on a new barrel. Thanks in advance.

Offline b bogart

Re: Question on Finishing a Barrel
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 03:54:41 AM »
Which shop did you frequent Mr Hungarian? Worthington, Delaware. or Ashley???
I don't remember the rifle.

Hungarian

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 04:25:20 AM »
It was the shop in Ashley. I didn't know there had been other locations. Are they still in business?

Offline b bogart

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 06:21:28 AM »
No Sir I don't believe they are. Too bad cause they were close.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 07:40:03 AM »
Hopefully someone can help me out. I used to go up to Golden Age Arms company before they closed. They had a rifle on the wall up there that had a barrel that was not browned or blued. It was a smooth finish (not like a new green mountain barrel) but it wasn't bright or shiny and looked slightly aged. I asked the guy helping one day how it was made and he said that I would have to ask the maker. I never did get a chance to ask before they closed. Can anyone help tell me how a finish like this could be done on a new barrel. Thanks in advance.

If you were to degrease and then coat with Naval Jelly for an hour or so it would likely put a soft finish on the barrel. Be careful not to get any IN anything on the barrel that might corrode the bore.

Stronger acids will work as well but are likely to be too aggressive and are dangerous to use.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 03:17:10 PM »
If you don't want "frosty" or pitted, rubbing the barrel with a piece of stiff leather slathered with mineral oil and pumice will give a soft finish to brass or steel.  Easy to renew and maintain.
Andover, Vermont

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 07:57:31 PM »
Here are a couple of pictures of a barrel I "French greyed".  I rust blued the barrel and then rubbed it back with a scotch brite pad and naval jelly.  Perhaps this is similar to what you saw.
Dave

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »
That's nice, Dave.