Author Topic: Finishing a maple stock  (Read 5486 times)

Number19

Finishing a maple stock
« on: July 06, 2011, 06:38:25 AM »
I've seen mention of several ways to finish a maple stock. I've also seen maple stocks ranging from very dark to very light. So what is the best way - or at least one of the better ways - to achieve a natural finish which brings out the grain. I have a mental picture of what I'd like which I would describe as Golden Blond. I've seen stocks which were described as "stained" and which were quite dark. This is not what I'm picturing. Any help here? And thanks in advance.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Finishing a maple stock
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:07:31 AM »
There are water-based, alcohol-based, and spirit-based stains that are dyes and there are chemical based stains that undergo a chemical reaction like aquafortis.  For a first effort, a "honey brown" or "golden brown" dye type stain will probably work well for you.  Look at what suppliers are selling and run some ideas past the guys here.
Andover, Vermont

hoochiepapa

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 01:02:50 AM »
Gunmaker's I've talked to use Feibing's leather dye, and it comes in a variety of colors. I understand that they have a red that is mixed with the light brown to give a color similar to what you are wanting. Of course it takes experimenting. Where to get? Good question.

Offline BJH

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 01:38:27 AM »
Laurel Mountain sells a stain called Honey maple that winds up at the color you describe. Pretty easy to use. just wipe it on till it seems to stop getting darker. Get a bottle of their reducer if your worried it will be too dark.  Test on scrap left over from your stock.  BJH
BJH

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 02:23:56 AM »

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 02:45:21 AM »
You can use Feibings leather dye if you want a blonde stock, it might start out dark but will lighten up with time.   Did one
stock with it, regretted it ever since.   Personally, If you're building a kentucky rifle, I would prefer that it be on the dark
side..............Don

Offline bgf

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 03:04:25 AM »
One possibility is that you can stain with a dark stain (dye) and then rub it back so that only the stripe is highlighted in the darker color, then use a lighter color stain on top of that.  I agree with the LMF "Honey Maple" suggestion above--it is too light for me by itself, but sounds like what you are after.  You can also blend colors of LMF to get whatever you want.  The finish is as important as the stain to showing off the figure, also.  You might try thinning your finish for the first "coat" or two and really letting it soak in.  I also like a tint in the finish and think it somehow gives the wood a better perception of depth than a clearer finish -- that's somewhat of a consideration when you are working out the stain color, i.e., knowing what the finish will do to it.  Experiment on scrap based on suggestions you get -- if you run enough tests, the problem will likely be deciding what you like best and matching it to your metal finish :).

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 04:16:11 PM »
Give Homer Dangler's stains a try. They work wonderfully well, mix well and can be as light or dark as you want. Also for a traditional finish that really brings out the curl get some of Jim Chamber's Traditional Oil finish and follow his directions. 
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Number19

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 04:27:29 AM »
The responses here pretty much run the gauntlet. Right now I'm leaning toward using LMF's Honey Maple. I didn't know about using a reducer. How does this work? I contacted LMF and Rick sent me an image of a contemporary rifle done up in Honey Maple. The attached image below matches up perfectly with what he sent. What would be the effect of using a reducer? Getting something lighter? But this is what I'm after and like everyone suggests, it's just a matter of testing samples to get a final shade.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 04:50:53 AM »
Number19,

LMF stains are alcohol based.  The "reducer" is denatured alcohol.  And yes, thinning or reducing will yield a lighter shade.  For maple, I like to use aquafortis to "pop" the curl followed by thinned LMF Nut Brown with a tiny drop of LMF Cherry added.  But then I like the resulting dark reddish color.  When you apply the LMF, if it's too dark, you can keep wiping it down with an alcohol soaked rag until it's lighter enough to suit you.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 05:04:03 AM »
LMF stains are alcohol based.  The "reducer" is denatured alcohol.
Denatured alcohol is ethyl alcohol with methyl alcohol added so you can't drink it.  This eliminates any alcohol taxes.  Both methyl and isopropyl alcohols will work just as well for reducers.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson