Author Topic: Will Chambers Oil Finish Darken Wood?  (Read 6991 times)

Mattole

Will Chambers Oil Finish Darken Wood?
« on: July 05, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
I know that there is a bit of darkening with any finish, thus the suggestion to wet the stock with water before staining to see if further darkening is desired, but does the Chambers Oil finish darken the wood more than a clear finish would? I am hoping so, since I want to darken my stock a little, and don't know if stain is necessary.

Any before & after photos you have of using Chambers Oil would be greatly appreciated.

Meteorman

Re: Will Chambers Oil Finish Darken Wood?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:26:46 PM »
i think the answer is yes, it will darken the wood "a little" more.
Of course one man's "little" is another person's "not at all" is another man's "a lot".  ;D
top: before
bottom: after (with slight shading variations rubbed in).
/mike

Mattole

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:03:19 PM »
Thanks Meteor Man, that is very helpful.

Offline AndyThomas

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 02:30:01 AM »
Yes, it has some sort of stain in it. I can see it in the barrel channel. It's great over AquaFortis, though!

Andy
formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 02:54:14 AM »
I would try it on a sample piece of wood (same as stock if possible, maybe under the buttplate). Like Andy says it has a reddish stain in it but it does not darken much. I have used it on several stocks hoping to darken them somewhat and they did but not much darker than they turn with a clear oil finish. They did appear to have more red tones in them but not much darker.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

jeager58

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 03:16:51 AM »
the sample piece of wood is under your butt plate.  try it there and make any adjustments ....phil

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 03:36:36 AM »
agree, just make sure you compare the top (comb) part of the buttplate inlet.  End grain always darkens a lot, of course.
Andover, Vermont

Offline AndyThomas

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
agree, just make sure you compare the top (comb) part of the buttplate inlet.  End grain always darkens a lot, of course.

Inside the barrel channel is a good place to try it. Plenty of wood there that will eventually get covered. The grain flow there is the same as the rest of the gun.
Andy
formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 04:13:20 PM »
I know that there is a bit of darkening with any finish, thus the suggestion to wet the stock with water before staining to see if further darkening is desired, but does the Chambers Oil finish darken the wood more than a clear finish would? I am hoping so, since I want to darken my stock a little, and don't know if stain is necessary.

Any before & after photos you have of using Chambers Oil would be greatly appreciated.

Natural oils darken the stock to some extent.
More importantly they enhance the figure giving it more depth, especially the walnut varieties.
But it often takes a week or more to get the full effect so don't expect it to be like putting on a stain.
Maple needs a stain or a VERY dark oil thinned with a little turp for penetration to look good.
Walnut seldom does if finished with a fairly dark natuaral oil.
Clear modern finishes like the various "thanes" (vara/ure etc) sometimes make the grain look like it was painted on, no depth.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Dave Waters

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 11:56:11 PM »
I used Chambers Stock Finish on clero walnut on a swivelbreech I'm building. I was really worried because everything I had tried on scraps seemed to darken the wood and hide the grain. I talked to Jim at Friendship spring shoot and he encouraged me to try it. WOW! I'm so pleased! Even tho it is an oil and it did seem to darken the wood like Dan says, it still brought out the grain. I am well satisfied with the results. I just sealed the wood and have put on several very light coats with a rag stretched over my finger and rub it on like your spit shining shoes. I still need to hit it with some 400 w/d and put a final coat on. I'll do that after I do some engraving and metal finishing.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:16:03 AM by Dave Waters »

Mattole

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 05:38:20 AM »
Really beautiful, Dave. I am really looking forward to using the Chambers Oil on my Lyman GPR stock soon..

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 12:06:21 AM »
I've used it quite a bit and I think Dennis nailed it. It only darkens it a little, but it definitely adds some reddish tones. I take that into account when staining and try not to get the stock too "red" before applying the finish. It is good finish and touches up real easily too.

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 09:06:29 PM »

You are asking if stain is necessary, or will the oil darken the wood to show the grain?

Stain is necessary to show the grain in maple - probably not in most walnuts.  Putting the oil on, will further darken the finish, a bit, as shown in Meteorman's post on maple, and in Dave's post in walnut.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 09:08:27 PM by Daryl »