Author Topic: sighting in the rifle  (Read 4266 times)

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
sighting in the rifle
« on: July 10, 2011, 07:39:37 PM »
Gents need your assistance.I have found a good load and it's time to line her up.

Barrel Rice 42 inch B series 45 cal.

The sights are perfectly centered
Rifle shoots 3 1/2 to the left
1) can the front sight take that move without looking crazy
2) should i move a bit of both sights
3) should i consider bending the barrel
4) should i file the center of the back sight and make the aperture a bit bigger. Than ajust the front.
and any other ideas are welcome
Denis

coutios

Re: sighting in the rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:53:11 PM »
   I'm assuming 25 yards??? You have made sure there is no bind on the barrel, pins slotted, lock bolts /tang screw not bound up or pressing against anything..

Regards
Dave

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 08:21:25 PM »
Need to know the distance before saying anything. Also, was this during one session?  What is your group size? I've had the sun on the front sight shift my group over. Lots of variables .

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 08:50:17 PM »
Assuming you're at 25 yards, and shooting from a rest.

Before you do any moving make a witness mark on your rear sight that's the one you want to move, don't play with the front sight. Once you have the mark tap the sight over about a 1/32" to the right, and try it again. Moving the rear sight to the right will move the impact point to the right. 3-1/2" isn't very much. If 1/32" isn't enough do it again. Once it is aligned make a witness mark with a small chisel so if it moves in the future you can find it easy.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:51:52 PM by Micah »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 09:42:37 PM »
The sights are perfectly centered
Rifle shoots 3 1/2 to the left

Before you do anything radical, allow another "good" shooter shoot several groups with your gun to see where it groups for him.  I have done this on numerous occasions, only to discover that the gun was shooting where it was supposed to.  Then we went back and corrected the owner's problems which ranged from flinch, holding the gun too loosely, canting, and several other things.  Don't always blame the gun even if you're sure it's not you.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Macon Due

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 12:46:23 AM »
bob in the woods has a point with the Sun causing an impact change. Just today while trying my .36 out at 25 yds. I had 3 in the same enlarged hole,dead center. About an hour later I fired 3 more and again...one large hole but about 2" to the right.
Macon

Offline Mike T

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 01:19:50 AM »
Before you change anything shoot it for awhile and try different distance, combinations of load, ball size. patch and lube.  It may settle down after you shoot some lead down the bore and you may also find out what it likes and that it's not the sights after all. Just a suggestion from personal experience.  Mike T.
Mike T

R.W.D.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 03:12:05 AM »
Good advice about shooting the rifle and letting it settle in.  My 13/16 40 cal G.M. barrel took around 150 shots before it really settled down.

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 04:14:04 AM »
Sorry i missed that
Shooting 50 yards
Been shooting for over a month at least twice a week.
Shot over 200 round with various loads they all react some same way except for the bad loads
My shooting has improved a lot especially my flinching.
I have my summer load. It shoots approx 3/4 inch, first 3 shoots always a cluster. Next three will move to approx 1 1/2 toward the center , than i wipe the gun shoots back to the original three shots .I have to consider the clean barrel this is my hunting rifle. First shot must count
Will check on the binding i have my doubts about the tang bolt.
I now have some things to check.
Will not touch the sights for now until everything is check.
Will use a good shooter for further the test when all is verified and done.
Any other homework i should check on.
thank you gentleman will keep you posted
Denis

BrownBear

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 04:34:14 AM »
I bet moving both the front sight (left) and rear sight (right), your sights will be so slightly off center that you won't even notice.  And no one without a mike will notice either.  The amount of combined movement to adjust POI at 50 yards is very small.  I certainly wouldn't consider bending the barrel in lieu of a few thousandths of sight movement, assuming it's a full-stock.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 04:59:43 AM »
Good shooting and glad you have such an accurate load/barrel combination.

I am guessing that the distance between the front and rear sight being very close to 30".  If so, the total movement of both the front and rear sight would be pretty close to .058"

X/30 = 3.5/1800 
X = .05833

where
X = distance to move the sight(s)
30 = distance between sights in inches
3.5 = distance to move group in inches
1800 = distance to the target in inches

It is up to your eye for appearances whether to move either or both sights.

Good luck and keep shooting straight,
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/