Author Topic: Too short forestock  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Pete G.

Too short forestock
« on: July 22, 2011, 01:03:54 AM »
So I've got this precarve (yeah, yeah, I know) for a 44" barrel and it is about 3/8" too short. I could make a nosecap with about a 3/8" faceplate and come out OK, but I was really wanting to use a hammered one piece cap. I am afraid that if I try to add wood to the front that the additional piece would be pretty thin and very prone to splitting and/or cracking.  Any ideas or suggestions ?

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Too short forestock
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:30:23 AM »
I can't say if it is  "correct" or not, but as long as there was enough stock wood to support the nosecap, I haven't worried about it. On one, I trimmed everything down an extra 1/16th and then glued on a fitted extension, and then wrapped it with a glue saturated piece of 1/16th veneer.  Wrapped it with tape, and next day re-fitted the cap.  Probably over kill.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 02:34:00 AM »
If you don't want to cut off the barrel, just go ahead and add a block of wood to the end - use good glue and let it cure well.  then shape it to match, and inlet the nose piece.  It doesn't take much strain and except for the inside of the barrel channel, when it is removed, the joint will be invisible.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:35:03 AM »
Pete.........If that were mine, I would glue a piece of wood on and hide it under the nosecap.   If you don't tell anyone,
they'll never know it...............Don

Odd Fellow

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 03:06:14 AM »
since its a precarve, it shouldnt have the barrel allthe way inlet yet or have you already finished inleting the tang and barrel, if you havent properly seating the breech should take care of the shortness

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 03:08:17 AM »
I built a Verner Bucks Co. rifle using a 51" barrel and I ran into the same problem with the stock being just one inch too short. I did as they are suggesting with gluing on a bock of wood and inetting the barrel into it. I used small pins on the oblique sides and two part micro-bed epoxy to secure it.
Dave Blaisdell