Author Topic: Chambers traditional oil finish  (Read 3357 times)

Offline rick landes

Chambers traditional oil finish
« on: July 22, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »
I noted a short time back of a retired cabinet makers who I was helping restock a rifle that had a broken from a flight from the tree stand to the ground. The gent had done a great job of finishing the the stocking and I had recommended the Chambers oil for the finish. I had given him the instructions as Jim had shared with me and showed him the how-to.
The rifle finish did not work he called and said. I asked to see it.
I had asked for input from everyone and most thinking was on not enough finish as there were apparent dry spots. I opened a fresh can of the oil and tired to put more on the stock. I got the same results.
I decided that I was going to need to remove most of the finish and start from the beginning. Before going right to a stripper I decided to try a pad of 0000 bronze wool. After washing it with lacquer thinner and drying it, I began to rub the finish off. I worked for about an hour and a 1/2 and the "problem" was coming clear. It was TOO MUCH finish. The chemical binders in subsequent coats were drying into the excess finish in some area and not in others.

I inspected and rubbed down the entire stock and used a can  of compressed air to blow off any bits of dirt...that compressed air works great as it has no chance of any oils getting in the air line like a traditional air compressor might.
Anyway the first coat of the oil was showing a wonderful finish coming through as had always been my previous experience with this product. I will do about 2 more thin coats and then wax the stock and return it to the owner.

I think that the owner may have been thinking of this product as an  on the surface of the wood finish rather than an in  the wood finish and thought more was better.
As always thanks for the help...especially Dr. Tim and Jim Chambers for your direct assistance.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Chambers traditional oil finish
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:57:39 PM »
I love a happy ending!!

Thanks Rick
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming