Author Topic: Finally! First forged buttplate  (Read 6119 times)

eagle24

Finally! First forged buttplate
« on: July 21, 2011, 07:43:44 PM »
Finally got one finished except for the filing.  Forged from sheet steel, pinned, and brazed with brass in the forge.  I have to remove about 5/8" off the toe and will narrow the butt part about 3/16"  Thickness is right at 1/8" so I have plenty of metal if I decide to file all the forge marks out.  I may leave a few, not sure yet.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:45:59 PM by GHall »

greybeard

Re: Finally! First forged buttplate
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 09:02:07 PM »
Nice work Greg. Don't it just make a body feel good that you didn't throw in the towell?
Bob

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:03:19 PM »
Outstanding Greg!  You did real good.  I'd be proud to have that on my rifle. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

eagle24

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:04:26 PM »
Nice work Greg. Don't it just make a body feel good that you didn't throw in the towell?
Bob

I didn't throw in the towel, but I threw a few things before I got one done. :D

Online alyce-james

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:30:41 PM »
Greg; Thanks for sharing your success with us and pictures of the finished hand forged butt plate. This will motivate some others of us to forge ahead. Turkeyfooter.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 12:32:26 AM »
I like...leave the forge marks, it gives it character.  I've ::) been wanting to forge one in brass.  Maybe I'll start with a handle for a cane I'm making for my granddad.

Rich

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 01:57:54 AM »
I knew you could do it. Looks good. Maybe I should be calling you instead of you calling me.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 05:46:48 AM »
 A nice piece of work. I would like to hear more about how you did it, such as did you use swages. Would also like to see a picture of your forge.
Okieboy

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 04:25:46 PM »
Nice work Greg - that piece has real nice proportions and shape.

Although you should be proud of your forge work, if it were me I would file out most, if not all of the forge marks, if you want it to look like an original - it would be very rare to see any trace of forge marks left on the iron on a finished rifle - even mountain rifles .  File marks yes, forge marks, usually not.  You could leave a few inside the triggerguard bow, etc. 

Good job!

Guy

eagle24

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 05:21:01 PM »
A nice piece of work. I would like to hear more about how you did it, such as did you use swages. Would also like to see a picture of your forge.

I forged the pieces using a swage block, then worked the comb return to a taper on the anvil.  The butt piece I bent hot in my vice after hammering the crown in using the swage block, then I worked it hot on the horn of the anvil to get it like I wanted.  Filed the joint to fit, pinned with an 8d common nail, brazed it in the forge using brass pieces from a cut up cartridge case.  Forge I made from a piece of I-Beam, lined with fire brick to form the fire pot, blower is a fan from an A/C unit.  I'm going to build a shed with two sides and a roof and build a new forge.  The fire pot is too deep and the hearth is too small.  I really didn't know enough when I built my forge, but it works ok.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 06:49:50 PM »
Good job Greg, makes me want to finish the forge I started a couple of years ago. Currently using two fire bricks and a Mapp torch. Works on tangs and other small items but not enough heat there to forge a buttplate!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline James

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 02:46:51 PM »
Nice!
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 03:15:41 PM »
Nice work!
How do I place an order for twenty more just like it, for July 30.
You do nice work, sir!
You should be some proud.
Best regards
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

eagle24

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 03:29:55 PM »
How do I place an order for twenty more just like it, for July 30.

Well......let's see.  Based on the time I have in it and the coke I burned, I need to get around $600.00 per butt plate to come out ahead.  You need 20, let's see 20 x $600..........will it be cash or check?  Oh wait........July 30.......next year, right? :D

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 07:07:29 PM »
Line up guys, Greg is taking orders.
Greg is in the House!
Great work!
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!