Author Topic: Pistol Stock Blank Dimensions and Orientation  (Read 4127 times)

Rasch Chronicles

Pistol Stock Blank Dimensions and Orientation
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:43:58 AM »
Howdy fellows!

Simple question. If I was to purchase wood planks, what would the proper dimensions for kentucky pistols be? Thickness would be about the same as for any rifle, 2.5 inches, but it's height that has me wondering.

Oh and quartersawn is the way to go correct?

And as long as I am asking, what grain orientation is best? If you have the barrel channel follow parallel to the grain, wouldn't that make the stock weak through the grip?

Best regards,
Albert

greybeard

Re: Pistol Stock Blank Dimensions and Orientation
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 09:04:42 AM »
OK Albert;  My personal preference for a pistol stock is plank or board sawn reason being that the grain is running vertical instead of paralell . Paralel through the grip area can leave it subject to weakness in the grip area espically if you are inclined to using a slim grip. Downside is that  the stripe does'nt show up quite as much on a board cut blank but it's still  pretty good.
     Course thats perhaps just me.
     Cheers Albert .  Be safe my man ..   Greybeard (BOB)

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:02:13 PM »
Albert,

I think I  have learned enough from the forum to chime in on this question. Woodgrain running parallel with the barrel channel is what you are looking for.  There will always be weak sports in the stock l.  As for thickness  2.5 will make about75% of projects you would want to build.  3in just about100%.  Now keep in mind I'm still very new at this,still learning and I'm pretty sure someone will correct me. ;D

Rich

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 06:58:38 PM »
Good morning Albert; I build more pistols than anything else. I use plank or quartersawn and my favorite is usually selected from stump areas of a tree. I start with 2 1/4 inch wide by 5 1/2-6 inch height. Length will very from 11 inches to 17 1/2. I always look closely for wood grain to parallel the length of the stock as much as possible. With luck sometimes I find where the grain will drift down into the grip area. I always find very good wood grain figure Happy hunting for that just right pistol stock. AJ

"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 07:01:29 PM »
Pistol blanks do not need to be as thick as rifle blanks. No cheek piece or fat butt plate to deal with.
A reasonable rule of thumb might be barrel breech dimension plus 1/2 inch for the two lock panels on a typical "Kentucky" pistol.
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 01:51:12 AM »
Hi Albert,
As you know, I've built some pistols.  A 1.75" thick blank will work.  I actually would avoid blanks much thicker than 2 inches unless you buy one >3.5 inches so you can get 2 stocks side by side.  Otherwise, you waste a lot of wood with an over thick stock.  Try to find wood from the stump or from limb crotch so the grain has a slight curve to better match the curve of your stock.  Flat sawn wood will be fine if the grain follows the stock.  Make a stock profile from clear plastic and hold it against the wood so you can see how the grain runs relative to the stock.  The really critical areas are the lock panels and the wrist area down to about halfway through the grip.  If you can find wood with grain running fairly parallel with those portions of the stock, you will do very well.  It is not that important how the grain runs after about the midpoint of the curve of the grip.  If you choose walnut, avoid highly figured wood.  The figure is mostly wasted on a pistol but more importantly, the wood tends to be weaker and brittle.  In contrast, curl in maple is different than typical figure found in walnut or cherry and I don't think it affects strength very much.   

good luck,

dave

PS Albert, I tried to respond to your PM a while ago but the reply screen keeps wanting to parse your name into 3 separate addresses (Albert, Afghanus, Rasch).

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 05:47:25 AM »
The last pair of pistols I built were sistered around a big knot. This allowed nearly perfect grain flow in the grips and forend. 1 7/8 ths  thick is enough for most pistols. Unless you are using a big barrel. I like the grain flow around big knots or crotch flow, for pistol stocks. BJH
BJH

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 07:12:14 AM »
Here is a picture of a maple blank I got from Freddie Harrison a few years back.  It is 2" thick, more then enough, with what I consider pretty good grain orientation.
Dave

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 03:12:02 PM »
Thank you all!

I really appreciate y'all sharing all the info.  I figure it wouldn't hurt to stock up on some of the materials for future projects I have in mind.

In the hopes that our Nation takes a turn for conservative values, and dueling once again becomes an acceptable way of settleing interpersonal issues, I am looking for the appropriate chunk of walnut for a set of dueling pistols like Runar's.

My only concern is that I may be too old by the time I get good enough to build something like that, that I probably wouldn't take offence at something duel worthy anyway...

I had not thought of checking with some of our lumbermen for a blank like Dave's. I was basicly looking at high grade lumber! Sometimes the most obvious escapes me...

Thanks again my friends!
Albert