Author Topic: shot the flintlock today, what fun!  (Read 8619 times)

Offline plastikosmd

shot the flintlock today, what fun!
« on: July 11, 2011, 01:34:30 AM »
well we went out and shot it today, what a hoot

This is my first time shooting this rifle and a flintlock in general.  I still dont know how much to prime the pan with.  I also learned that the second worst place to stand when someone is shooting (a flintlock) is next to the pan.  Felt like 20 angry bees stung me all at once when my friend shot! Stood back another 8 ft and still got it a bit. As far as target shooting, I consider myself a good shot and I am able to focus through recoil.  This was hard due to the flash and slight delay, I found it was hard to keep focus on the target and not blink/move.  Nevertheless after a few shots I shot the 2 5 shot groups at 100 yrds. Caliber is 515, ball was 520 with a .015 teflon patch, 100g 2F.  Overall I am happy and it shot well.  The amazing thing is that all of the sights are swapable among the 4 rifles.  I havent had to adjust any of the sights! Just bolt up and shoot, be it 451, .626 or this 515, they all hit the 12" black at 100 yrds.  I guess that says something about Mr. Morris and his construction.
The rifle

Todays work, black patch are on the 2 fouling shots, one for each group, clicked the sight over a bit as not to stack on top of the other group

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
Re: shot the flintlock today, what fun!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 01:58:36 PM »
what kind of precision can you get out of one of these monsters, , can you give me a rundown of the makers for the parts of this gun.
Denis

Offline Dan

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 02:27:46 PM »
That's pretty fair shootin' for a flinter. ;D

Can't tell a lot about the details from the photo so far as the front rest goes, but I've a suggestion for your consideration and it goes to the nature of your rests, front and back.

Aside from bearing weight and eliminating cant, the foot rest is intended to slide smoothly and consistently. This can be accomplished with a variety of materials.  Commonly used surfaces range from wood to steel, the purpose being to have a very consistent and uninterrupted recoil impulse.  Couple of examples here:

Low tech, built with scraps

Over the counter tech w/minor mods...maybe

Don't know that your approach with the rear bag is causing you any problems, doesn't appear so based on your groups. Having said that, the builder put the circular pad on the toe of the stock for a reason.  My guess and it's nothing more than that:  The pad is likely intended to rest on a smooth inclined surface for the same reasons mentioned above about foot rests.  Don't know how one would contrive a back rest to match the slope of that pad, but it might serve to consider the premiss.  Alternatively, it may have been intended to mate with a machine rest.

Much I don't know about slug rifles though, I could be full of hooey on the latter.

You have a nifty set of cannons there, enjoy!

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 05:13:30 PM »
I've seen pictures of flat smooth leather covered bags.  I suspect the toe of that rifle is meant to sit on one of those - or an inclined plane of a lexan-teflon-type material - say 1/10" thick on the upper, outside surface of a flat bag. The bag's sand can be shifted to the inclined angle quite easily. When using smooth leather bags, most BR shooters I knew way back, used talcum powder on the bags to allow the rifle to slide smoothly, without grabbing.  The rabbit eared bag in the picture would cause grabbing of that stock's toe and could easily throw shots up, down or sideways.

It would be fun, shooting a rifle like that (if it didn't need to be wiped after each shot).
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 05:14:24 PM by Daryl »

Offline Dan

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »
Daryl, you don't HAVE to wipe them between shots, but life is much more agreeable if you do... ;D

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 06:52:44 PM »
Not for me.  I am certain I could make it shoot identically, without any wiping and using a 'normal' for me, lubed patch and bore sized ball. It would have to or I wouldn't own it.

That's good shooting Plastik. Lots of people can't do that with apertures.

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 01:20:59 AM »
thx guys, yea- currently making up a front rest, just started cutting the keyway.  I like the plate idea as a base, as I have been thinking of what to use as a base.  The tracking isnt that bad as the durn thing hardly moves. I know it needs a flat bag or something.  Right now a trip involves 2 very large range bags, the 50lb barrel in box and box of rods, man another bag and a big plate is gonna hurt

chapmans

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 02:52:52 AM »
Most if not all of the round ball benchgun shooters at Friendship wear a heavy leather shooting glove on their left hand, for a right handed shooter, the flat on the bottom of the buttstock near the toe, rests on the glove, you make minor elevation moves by moving your hand back and forth to get the sights lined up on target, you shoot 50, 100, 200 yds from the same position, I'm not sure if you can get enough movement with just the glove for all ranges, this is just for lining up the sights not moving impact. I'll look through my pictures and see if I have an example.
  Regards, Steve Chapman

Online Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 02:56:11 AM »
Since you are discussing rests, many slug gun shooters us a front rest with two plastic or Teflon feet.  They rest on a flat surface.  because of the weight of the gun it doesn't recoil far enough to fall off.  I can't remember a slug gun shooter using a bag on the front.

Plastikosmd,
I just received an email from a vet slug gun shooter. Will forward it to you.

Regards,
pletch

Just read Steve's post and agree.  I just concentrated on the front.
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 03:28:21 AM »
Ya these guns ride on some sort of hard plastic feet

chapmans

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 03:59:42 AM »
Here are a few pics! The first two are of Branch Meanley former owner of Green Mountain Barrel Co. he gets behind his gun a little more than some folks.

Also if you notice in the last pic there is a "Flint Shield" fastened right to the bench because you are shooting pretty close together on the line!
 Hope this helps!
  Steve

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 06:51:42 AM »
Everyone supplying their own benches?

Online Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 01:34:13 PM »
Everyone supplying their own benches?

Yes. These pics were taken at the Nationals in Friendship.  The last shooter is a friend of Chapman and mine. Benches are designed by the shooter and usually unique. 

Competition is friendly but absolutely fierce.  You quickly learn from the people who beat you.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 02:17:31 PM »
I would be learning from everybody then

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 12:06:41 AM »
what a difference size makes. So this RB flintlock is around 515 caliber, I started with 520 RB loads easy with teflon .015 and got good groups right away, had some 526 balls around, still loaded pretty easy but really opened up the group, only shot 3 and stopped there. didnt get to see patchs as there were many at the range today and i couldnt check them.  the other group is 1 fowler with the black sticker and then a group of 4 using the 520 ball. guess i will stay with this ball/patch combo and play with the powder a bit, this is with 100 grains 2FF
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 12:08:33 AM by Plastikosmd »

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 02:47:00 AM »
The really cool thing is that experimentation never ceases.  In different climate conditions, with time, you'll learn how to tweek the load to maintain accuracy - it's a long learning road to success - one I haven't even started - yet - with bench-type guns.

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 09:25:35 PM »
I find it amazing how small changes make a big difference. 110g 2fg =6" group at 100yrd. 100g 2fg 1.25", less than 1" if I didn't pull my second shot to right, 5 shot. Fowler is to the left with dot on it
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:27:59 PM by Plastikosmd »

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 09:53:45 PM »
Thanks for posting these pictures and sharing your fun. The first bench gun matches I saw were at Friendship in 1975 or 1977 I can't remember. I have always had a great interest in this part of muzzleloading. AJ   
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 11:58:02 PM »
anytime, if it wasnt for you guys, I couldnt hit the broadside of a barn, stanidng inside.  All the hints are great.  I am still working on what I call the 'flintlock flinch.'  The flash still gets me sometimes as this is my frist flint

Daryl

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 12:32:56 AM »
Flinch shots are usually right and low (right handed shooter), if one is holding the rifle, unrested - ie: shooting offhand. If sitting at a bench, the shot is usually just a bit right.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:33:17 AM by Daryl »

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 01:22:03 AM »
ya, that is what I blame the flyer on...or just crappy aim, irons at 100 are a challenge

Daryl

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 01:26:15 AM »
I think you mean 'any' metalic sights.   Irons usually refers to open sights.

Offline plastikosmd

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 01:55:41 PM »
Yes any, thx!