Author Topic: warped prestock problem  (Read 2898 times)

Offline curly

• In GOD we trust
warped prestock problem
« on: July 28, 2011, 04:08:46 PM »
I recently had a Tennessee precarved stock given to me because it has a noticeable warp right at the breech. With the long "lolly pop" tang it is impossible to inlet. How can I permanently straighten this stock out to accept the tang and look half way decent? It is a beautiful piece of Red Maple.

Thanks........Curly

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: warped prestock problem
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 04:41:12 PM »
They can be bent with a jig and heat lamps, at least walnut can don't see how maple would be different..
You can make the jig from plywood and 2x4s, wood glue and some screws.
DO NOT use the hot oil method if you expect to stain it.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=13753/guntechdetail/Moliballistics_Stock_Bending_Jig
Explains the technique. But I have seen stocks bent with the plywood and 2x4 jig used by a stock bender so just use this as a guide on what it should look like.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 08:15:52 PM »
I wouldn't fool with it.  Probably be more headaches than its worth and no guarantee of success.  Not all TN rifles have lollipop tangs.  Cut it shorter and reshape it.  If you have any fudge room with the buttplate, move it to the side opposite  the bend and then build the gun with appropriate cast on or off, as the case may be.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:11:43 PM »
Which direction is it bent?  If it's to the right, it could be just the right amount of cast off.   ;D
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline curly

• In GOD we trust
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 12:13:52 AM »
Thanks for your responses guys....well appreciated information. Dphariss, I'm going to try this method with heat lamps. Sounds logical enough. Let you know how I make out OK. Thanks again

Curly