Author Topic: White Lightning Size  (Read 5325 times)

Offline blackdog

White Lightning Size
« on: July 30, 2011, 07:11:32 PM »
Just curious if anyone has any imput if a 3/8 white lightning has any advantage over a 5/16 in a 54cal. 1'' 1/16 barrel. Would going to 3/8 would have any advantage, faster, easier to clean etc? Curious what everyone uses.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 07:15:01 PM by blackdog »
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

eagle24

Re: White Lightning Size
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 07:30:12 PM »
I've only used the 5/16", but my guess is that the 3/8" would have a larger cone and might be faster in a .54.  I would call Jim and go with his recommendation.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 08:02:25 PM »
       One thing to consider before going to a 3/8 liner is: what if you have to replace it and screw up; where are you going to go?   You would be stuck with making a custom liner or rebreeching.  The 5/16 provides plenty quick ignition.  I mainly use the 1/4 size on most barrels and get very good ignition. 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Just curious if anyone has any imput if a 3/8 white lightning has any advantage over a 5/16 in a 54cal. 1'' 1/16 barrel. Would going to 3/8 would have any advantage, faster, easier to clean etc? Curious what everyone uses.

Use the 1/4".
I actually prefer 12x32 but its so close to 1/4 that its really a moot point.
There is no difference in speed that any human could see and I doubt it could be timed but that is Larry Pletcher's territory.
Making great big holes in the sides of barrels does not appeal to me.
I have a 5/16" in my Nock breech, but a Nock breech is not a barrel.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline blackdog

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 09:07:48 PM »
Thats true if the 5/16 ever needs replacement 3/8 would be easy to do.  I've only used the 5/16 myself too, but always looking for the extra edge....
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 10:21:14 PM »
1/4 inch in .50, .54, .62 and they all work great  I am doing some internally coned toucholes without a liner now and am using a 1/4 inch coning tool.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:24:38 AM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 11:11:36 PM »
I use 1/4" in my 50 cal. and put it into 54cal as well, and keep the larger sizes for back-up incase of a screwup during installation. That'll give you 3 chances to get it right.

My 1/4" white lightening Liner in my flintlock makes it as fast as any caplock I've ever seen.

Have faith all these people aren't lying to you.

ironwolf

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 12:08:15 AM »
  3/8" may be a little large for that size of barrel flat which is about 7/16" on that bbl.  The smaller size would give you more leeway in touch hole location. They all clean well.  However the larger cone holds more powder thus are somewhat more reliable.  Don't drill out larger than .065 or .067 or consistency will become eratic due to powder blowing out while loading.  Ask me how I know that.
  I've got the same barrel with a 5/16" WL and it works great. You'll love it.

KW

Can be replaced to the same size in the same hole with an EZ-OUT, no need to go up in size.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 12:11:49 AM by ironwolf »

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 05:49:18 AM »
I used the 3/8 on three barrels.  I can tell you they work great.  I saw no need to enlarge the flash hole.  The WL is extremely reliable and fast.  I know it is a huge hole through the side of the barrel but I had absolutely no indication of that being a problem.
The choice is yours.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 05:38:51 PM »
I've used both and prefer the smaller size just because it looks better on the gun. I have built several guns and left the vent as is, but have come back later and drilled them to a 1/16". There is a perceptible difference with the vent drilled to a 1/16" size.

big AL

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 11:34:22 PM »
Hi,  I understand the "internal coning " , I'm trying it too!, but what does that final " 1/4" inch mean?  I'm confused. Big Al

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 01:23:52 AM »
Hi,  I understand the "internal coning " , I'm trying it too!, but what does that final " 1/4" inch mean?  I'm confused. Big Al

The coning tool I am using (Tom Snyder) is thesmal one which is comparable to a 14" WL liner.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Dave Dolliver

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 03:59:12 AM »
Big Al

The final 1/4 is the outside diameter of the threads on the WL liner and the diameter of the threads needed in the barrel wall.

Dave Dolliver