Author Topic: Wheelweight lead... Good or bad?  (Read 12136 times)

Offline Glenn

Re: Wheelweight lead... Good or bad?
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 01:42:11 AM »
OK ... so what were arriving at here is that wheel weight lead would be good for solid RB in a smoothbore barrel but is recommended as RB only for smoothbores, and also for use as shot (as in shotgun pellets) in smoothbores.

I can understand using non-alloy for precision shooting in a rifled barrel.  I can also see how easy it would be to melt some wheel weights down and use it for shot in a Trade Gun come this next turkey season.  Sounds like it wouldn't hurt the weapon one bit and I'm also sure the turkey won't notice much difference.   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Daryl

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 01:51:17 AM »
 Mavin- your WW are softer about 1/2 weight difference compared to the ones I have that were collected 20 years ago.

CB- your .50 has a "Gun Maker's" barrel on it, I think, which is square bottomed and probably .010" TO .012" deep.  The .490" should be fine, with a .020" patch, BUT- you'll have to try it with an actual hunting-type load. My WW would run 10gr. lighter adn maybe .001 larger- maybe.  .50 is pretty small to start with.  And yes, I know a .50 cal. pistol with 50gr.  charge will kill a moose - that's getting back into tricks rather than good managment, though imho.   Try 115gr. to 120gr. 2F and let me know how it works - patch appearance - bet it's OK and so's the accuracy. Oh - I'll give you some .020" patch material. Your .020" runs .016"/.017 in my measuring tools and I'm sure that won't cut it- well, actually it might just cut - won't seal, though imho.
Call.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 09:47:50 AM »
I got to thinking, in a smoothbore rifle, WW roundballs might be better game getters in the mid calibers. Actually, probably in any caliber. In the smaller oes, you get better penetration, and the larger ones already have big channels so better penetration is a plus.

Best regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
Mama Domicenti: Albert Trys Market Hunting Pigeons

camerl2009

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 12:27:06 AM »
Do NOT put 'Z' wheel weights in the mix. That is zinc. It will ruin a mix of lead, and will also contaiminate the pot for future casting- apparently.

I've never heard of a "Tin" wheelweight. Those, I'd like to find.

zinc WW should be marked Zn thay will be harder to cut then a lead(Pb) or tin(Sn) or antimony(Sb) 

dont over look WW's

and you will find tin wheel weights just got to look ive founs some stick on tin WW's