Author Topic: Suggestions For New File Purchase  (Read 2612 times)

dannylj

Suggestions For New File Purchase
« on: August 15, 2011, 12:37:16 AM »
While I must 40 or 50 files around I have a hankering to go buy a few new ones. I have plenty of woodworking rasps. I need some new and sharp metal files. I know I should have files for brass and different ones for metal. What files would you suggest for finishing metal parts? Only larger files as I have a good selection of needle files. 4 or 5 of your most use types.   Thanks   Danny

Offline rick landes

Re: Suggestions For New File Purchase
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 09:38:21 PM »
Brownells has a good selection of ten inch mill files...last one had a handle the one before a padded paddle type handle. Nothing fancy, but these work good and are about $10 (One side is a safe edge.) Call and ask them for these if you cannot find.

One of their three square files in a 8" fine cut is one of my favorites.

Get a tube or two of the file chalk too, no wax in it and it works well.

They used to have (and may still) have a set of flexible/bendable needle files. These are great but a bit pricey at $80, but well worth it. IMHO.

I use quite a bit of good wet dry sandpaper with a wood backing for many things too, cheap and it works well. I like a paint stick as a backer for many areas as I can cut it to shape if I need to...
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

dannylj

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:50:16 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions Rick. Most of my files are dull (improper storage) and it's time to invest in a few new ones. I tend to go overboard and buy files too large. I too use a lot of sandpaper and finger nail sanding boards cut down. I'll check out Brownells and MSC.  Thanks  Danny

ironwolf

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 03:28:11 AM »
  A "vixen" file from simmonds works great on barrel steel and brass. Leaves a very smooth finish and they seem to last forever.  Cuts wood so smooth you'd swear it was planed. Great for leveling off inlays, pewter noses and stuff like that.

KW