Author Topic: Gun Barrel Storage ?  (Read 4151 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Gun Barrel Storage ?
« on: August 14, 2011, 07:10:39 PM »
Over the last few years I have accumulated several new and like new rifle and smooth bore barrels that haven't yet made it to the project bench. I had each of them greased up with RIG and stowed away in hard plastic gun cases that rested in a corner of my shop. Over the weekend I discovered a leak in the roof that puddled into that corner of all places. I pulled all of the barrels out and ran patches down them finding two had some light rust up against the breech plug face's. They were both used barrels that had only been shot a few times but thoroughly cleaned by me and greased. I unbreeched them and removed all of the rust and polished them back up. My question is what would be the best way to store these barrels? Where do you fellow's keep your metal parts that you won't get to for long periods of time?
Joel Hall

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Gun Barrel Storage ?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 07:14:55 PM »
I would keep them out of the cases for starters, otherwise you sound like your doing the right thing. I have my shop in the basement of my house and dont longterm sore any barrels down there as it can get humid at times down there.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 07:32:42 PM »
I store all my guns, knifes, etc, both antique and new, in a safe with a small electric heater that keeps the interior at about 75/80 degrees F. Some of those guns have been in there for years, almost untouched, and none have any rust. None of the guns are in a case nor are the knifes. Warm dry air takes good care of everything.
John
John Robbins

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 07:43:07 PM »
I keep my extra barrels in a a small storage room in an air condition house here in south Texas. Pistol barrels in same storage system. Most barrels are in a state of rotation those around for awhile are wiped down once a year. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Habu

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 08:16:26 PM »
Covered inside and out with Rig, wrapped in brown paper, and lost in the shop, has been working for me for 30+ years.  All the paper really does is ensure the grease stays on the outside of the barrel, though it might provide a slight additional vapor barrier: it's pretty grease-soaked after a day or two. 

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 02:41:44 AM »
My barrels, whether in an infrequently used gun that's essentially stored or a barrel awaiting a project get an annual go-over. 1st, WD-40 followed by dry flannel patches to remove the stuff. 2nd, a flannel patch soaked with camellia oil (if it's good enough for the Samurai...). The wet patch gets used to apply a light film to the outside. 3rd, store in Sack-Ups--silicone treated fabric gun bags. 4th, store in a wood gun cabinet that's in a dry, insulated, heated attic.

It's always worked for me here in Wet-stern Washington. You'll get other techniques, I'll wager..........
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 02:49:29 AM »
Piled in a corner and forgotten about until needed for a project.  Don't have a leaky roof and control shop humidity to some degree.  I've experienced some light corrosion on the outside, but the bores have always been fine.  No fuss in this area for me.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 03:11:59 AM »
Barring the enclosed environment with electric heat and moisture controls, (barring power failures) free air movement is of utmost importance in gun and gun part storage. I'd say the rig is a good idea in areas of high humitidy.

Around here, I've gone for many years not touching some of my guns- only to cehck condition and they are perfect. Some, as in .22's have never been cleaned or wiped down by me with anything, yet are rust & corrosion free. go figure.