Author Topic: jaeger triggerguards  (Read 3559 times)

Offline Curt Larsen

jaeger triggerguards
« on: September 04, 2011, 04:28:37 PM »
Just wondering how the triggerguards were installed on jaegers and/or how some of you have done it.  It sometimes looks to me that the triggerguards are not partially inlet like we normally do on PA/KY rifles.  I know that Taylor and Chris Immel have done some nice jaegers.  Also I wonder if the triggerguards overlap the trigger plate on DSTs.  I'm working on a pre carve from TOW and the inlet for the DST forces me to either overlap the trigger plate or splice some wood into the forward end of the trigger plate inlet and shorten the trigger plate.  Inquiring minds need to know.

Curt 

Online Dave B

Re: jaeger triggerguards
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:52:28 PM »
You are right in that they are looking like they are just setting on the surface. The reality is they are only inlet at about a 1/16 or less. Here are acouple of contentental pieces that give you the Idea.

These are from a French fowler. Note that the  cut way suround makes the inlet actually proud of the ground of the stock wood.

These are from a Germanic pistol and again you can see by the thin edge of the trigger guard finial that the inlet portion is very shallow indeed.

This is the only picure of this trigger guard from a nice Jaeger rifle. It looks to be sitting right on the surface in this shot. I believe that the guard has poped out of the inlet and has ended up stranded due to the wood shrinkage that has occured. the shrinkage is obvious on the first example listed here. There is wood break out from the guard poping off the surround in key areas.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:41:32 PM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:12:39 PM »
The tradition for 17th century French work is to not inlet the guard.  This would apply to other regions heavily influenced by the French during a similar time period.  At some point during the early 18th century it seems there was a transition to inletting guards.  I would bet some Germanic pieces, especially 17th and early 18th century pieces have guards that are not inlet.  Interestingly enough the first two Reading pieces that Shumway shows, do not have the rear extension inlet.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 03:27:02 AM »
As far as the triggerguard over the triggerplate, just file the "inletted portion" of the guard off so it sits on top of the metal of the triggerplate.  In other words, notch it.

Very early guns might not have the guards inletted at all.

For the most part, though, guns closer in relation to most of our periods of interest, the guards are inletted, at the front, anyway.  Sometimes they are inletted at the rear, sometimes not.  Depends on the guard, depends on the gunsmith.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:32:47 AM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 03:38:31 AM »
maybe you can see this one well enough.  German (presumably, it could be Flemish for that matter...) bird gun from about 1760.

This one is inletted at the rear.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 01:47:48 PM »
Thanks guys.  This really helps to understand it.  The photos are really great.
Curt

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 04:04:34 PM »
These shoddy Jaeger craftsmen just took the easy way out and didn't even try to inlet a guard and covered the triggerplate underneath the wood to disguise their poor inletting:

Some people... Sheesh...

Best regards,
Albert “Matamoro” Rasch
Real Men Hunt
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 04:05:45 PM by Albert Rasch »