Author Topic: Help Identify the Cased Pistol Parts!  (Read 3700 times)

Rasch Chronicles

Help Identify the Cased Pistol Parts!
« on: August 30, 2011, 06:35:13 PM »
Howdy fellows!

I was searching through the internet and I found a kickin' auction house: Czernys Holy Smokes, what treasures!

Check this out:

Image Credit: Czerny's Intl

I can ID the pistols... Obviously.
If we take those out and start at the top we have:
What looks like a wood hammer(?) w/ an oiler to the right.
Then something wooden I can't identify(?).
That's followed by two ramrods stacked w/ possibly an attachment to the left.
A bullet mold,
Flask and turnscrew,
Last, a long shiny thing(?).

What might those items be?

BTW, I really like the design and look of them. They are flinters, but the shortish stock kind of throws me off. Any idea what time period they might be? The catalogue isn't out yet so I don't know

Best regards,
Albert “The Afghan” Rasch
Real Men Hunt
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Help Identify the Cased Pistol Parts!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 06:50:10 PM »
Hi Albert,
The pistols could be French, Belgian, Czech, etc.    Definitely, continental European probably from the early 19th century.  The metal rod appears to have a split like the eye of a needle in the left end.  I wonder if it is a cleaning rod similar to the design of modern rods for holding a cleaning patch?  The rod in the center is a mystery.  It almost looks like a fowling scraper but it is not sufficiently long to reach the breeches in the barrels.  It also looks like a rod of some sort is missing above the upper pistol. 

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:47:21 PM »
Albert, Sir; The rod below the mallet appears to me , threaded on the right end. Maybe it attaches to one of the two rods below this rod. One rod appears to have a brass ferrule. It looks to me as if the (2) two rods with knobs to be loading tools. Whats the metal looking item located a the lower grip of the top pistol (adapter?) and near the knob on the loading rod left ?? I don't think anything is missing from the cased set AJ.  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:52:15 PM by alyce-james »
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 05:50:43 AM »
Yup,

That lowest rod must be the cleaning rod.

But where is the powder measure? maybe the flask has a cutoff. And what is that hammer looking thing?

Albert

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 07:19:23 AM »
The breach scraper is threaded into the handle for the cleaning rod. The Implement that is immediately above the flask end toward us is I believe a cleaning jag/tow worm. The scraper may well screw into the business end of the cleaning jag. Pure speculation on my part that the wood which holds the breach scraper has threads to recieve the ram rod. It seems a likely scenario. The flask has a spring loaded tip to throw a charge when the end is pressed toward the flask.
Dave Blaisdell

keweenaw

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 03:56:18 PM »
The mallet is just that a mallet to start seating the ball when loading.

Tom

Offline Captchee

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 04:39:50 PM »

I agree with Dave .
 The long silver rod would be a breech scraper for the improved breech .
 This screws into the  double ended  loading rod .
  The right hand ball of the rod will unscrew .
  On a couple original sets that I have looked at , this ball then screws into another short section and becomes a short starter . I believe this maybe the case with this set as the short extension appears to be just to the right of the  oilier.
 It should be noted that on still other sets  , one end of the double ball loading rod , is  or appears to have been nothing more then a detractive cap .
 To the left  I would say is the tow worm  which probably also has a ball puller inside it
 The log wooden handle below the  loading mallet  may  be a wedge key tool .
 But its had to tell for sure .
  One just never knows what  some of these  tools were for until you see them alone  then they become rather obvious as to their use .
 I have seen  all manor of sundry included in box sets  ranging from pan brushes to ball stamps with the  owner  of the sets initials . To powder measures and even  melting ladles and spring vices in a couple  of examples

myself i would say  its French . possibly one of Rennells . though it could also be German or Austrian.  Mid to late 19th century would be my bet as well .