Author Topic: New Here, Finished first kit gun build  (Read 4334 times)

ScottRoush

New Here, Finished first kit gun build
« on: September 05, 2011, 03:38:40 AM »
So I just came back from the sand pit after shooting my 20 ga. NW Trade gun I built from Track of the Wolf.  I grew up going to rendezvous with my Dad who was in the Simon Kenton Gun club in Dayton, Ohio and am finally getting the itch to get back into it.. although I will do more hunting than rendezvous since I live kinda out of the way in Northern Wisconsin.

I'm posting a picture of the gun and my first off-hand groups with a smoothbore.  You can see my grouping came up when I realized that I never sanded the casting tab off of the sight!!!!  The gun isn't done yet.. I mostly need to finish the butt cap and everything from the lock back is mostly rough finished.  I forged the butt cap from old wagon wheel wrought iron and am still trying to finesse it flush.  All other fittings were allowed to naturally patinate in my shop. Right now the stock is stained with Fiebings dark brown leather dye and then back sanded... with some shellac.  This winter I plan to disassemble and re-finish the stock.. not sure how yet.  But I needed to get the gun ready as grouse season is just about here.

I will post more pics when I feel it's truly done.

Anyway... Just wanted to introduce myself and tell everybody how stoked I am to hunting with a smoothbore this season.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 03:40:50 AM by ScottRoush »

C. Cash

Re: New Here, Finished first kit gun build
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:56:29 AM »
Outstanding! ;D Welcome home and thank you for your service.

ScottRoush

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:24:01 AM »
Thanks for the response and sorry for the confusion!  By 'sand pit' I meant where I go to shoot..... just a sand pit on county land.  I've never had the honor to serve our Country in that regard.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 04:48:18 AM »
Welcome Scott, its good to have you back in the fold. You are in with a great group of people who will try to help you in just about anyway they can concerning trditional style muzzleloaders. Good luck to you and again, welcome.    Smylee

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 05:13:25 AM »
Welcome to the group Scott! Lots of information and a lot of very helpful folks. You'll enjoy visiting here regularly, and I look forward to seeing your work.

Best regards,
Albert “The Afghan” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Feral Bull Fighting: Another Chronicles Adventure!
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

greybeard

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 07:28:20 AM »
You are really going to get to love this site and most of the folks here.
WELCOME     Bob

JB2

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 11:33:16 AM »
Grouse season!?  Wow!  I have a LOT of trouble hittin the danged things with a modern gun.  Great looking piece, just show us the pics of your first bird with it.  That will definitely be an accomplishment.

ScottRoush

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 01:25:22 PM »
Thanks folks....

Jim...  I've got a good pointer that holds em in trees for me.  I"ve taken them with my longbows that way.  I'm not a purist wingshooter...:-)  although I do prefer it when it happens that way.  The biggest thing I will miss using this when they are on the wing will be the second shot I usually take with my over under.  Still... when hunting grouse in the thick cover that we have up here..... and if you have a good dog that can find the bird... shoot even if the bird has disappeared into the brush. It only takes one pellet to knock em down! Wouldn't recommend doing that without a dog though...

JB2

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 05:30:37 PM »
Scott, I had to laugh about that 'wingshooter' comment.  After our fist half-day  hunting (and missing) grouse with my borther-in-law, we agreed if we saw one on the ground or in a tree, it was fair game.  Think the birds heard us tho' cause we still didn't get one!

Great website, btw.  Wish I was closer to your shop when I was up nort'.