Author Topic: M&G Classic Lock,,any one have any opinions..  (Read 3620 times)

Offline kutter

M&G Classic Lock,,any one have any opinions..
« on: September 04, 2011, 07:45:09 PM »
I picked up 4 locks in a deal, one is an M&G flint lock.
I found through some searching that RE Davis sells them and some other small bits of info on the maker.

Anyone use one and have any opinions?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:49:27 PM by kutter »

Offline alex e.

Re: M&G Classic Lock,,any one have any opinions..
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 12:04:20 AM »
I like mine!Its a fair repro of a 1720-30's French lock.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Leatherbelly

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 03:09:03 AM »
   I believe Larry Zornes is the builder/owner of Mold and Gunshop.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 04:09:51 AM »
       I used one on an Isaac Berlin build,  I forget the correct designation, but it was a one screw lock.  It worked out very well for an early gun.  Strong lock and it sparked well right out of the box.  It has a thick bolster, so you can size it to your needs to some extent.   I would use the lock again if the build demands such a lock. 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Old Salt

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 06:21:45 PM »
I have one on a .40 caliber York style rifle.  It's a very good lock.  My son and I have been shooting it for @ three years now. 

At full cock the flint is closer to the frizzen than some production locks.  IMHO that helps to make it faster.

Leo 

Birddog6

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 01:52:35 AM »
It all depends on when it was made.  If it is out of the first batch of them, it may have several issues.  I went thru 25 of them before I found one that was built correctly on the first ones.

That being said, that was ? 3 + years or so ago & they had just started making them. What I see of them now is a vast improvement & they appear to be a pretty well built lock. They cock smooth as glass, easy to cock, and the bolster is thicker &
to me that is a great improvement.

Keith Lisle

Offline kutter

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 03:48:22 AM »
Thank for all the feedback.
The lock is a fairly new production I believe. This one and a Small Siler flint look brand new and were supposedly purchased in the last year or so.
The other two are an older Siler large flint and an RE Davis English percussion (I think that's the name &brand).

The M&G looks alot to my untrained eyes like a Siler with a bit smaller plate. Seems like a nice lock. Nice and smooth. Not quite the flat polish finish inside as the Silers. The pan & frizzen fits perfect all the way around ..except! for one small area on the off side. A little fitting will take care of that.

None of the locks has ever been drilled for side plate screws.
The Large Siler F/L is an older pattern? I'm learning,,I'm told they changed some lock geometry to improve performance at one time and this is the 'older' style.

It & the Davis have  been knocking around in storage in a shop for a while. But other than some finger print & light surface rust spots and the like, they look unaltered.
The M&G and the small Siler flint look like new,,just missing the packing matr'l.
I may be able to buy some other M/L builder parts from the lot if things go right.

Guess I better start some new projects.

Thanks again, I appreciate the knowledge here.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 03:52:11 AM by kutter »