Author Topic: Smoothbore in the deep southern states?  (Read 12302 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Smoothbore in the deep southern states?
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 06:03:37 AM »
Blunderbus, can you elaborate on the 1770's English proofs?

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 06:25:44 AM »
James,

Here is a reference: English Proof Marks

Best Regards,
Albert A Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
We Build a Pirogue!
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

camerl2009

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 12:51:29 AM »
"Circa 1840 Percussion Tennessee Rifle" (single-shot/ muzzle-loading/ black powder/ ball/shot ammunition) Westward movement of U.S. "conquistadors" spread south of the Ohio River
Well that date is awful late for that gun to be used on Eastern Bison. Its my understanding that they were extinct by 1825. Also it seems to me that Boone and others were using .40 and .45 caliber rifles for bear back in the late 1760's.

I would think it had more to do with the price's and versatility of the smooth bore than the ball size!
Dennis

bison where never extinct thay where hunted near extinction but theres always been bison in fact i thing canada is the only place you will find non  reintroduced bison

bison hunting was not reaaly bad till there hides where selling for $3 a piece thats when thousands where killed just for there hides the rest left to rot hole heards where wiped out

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 12:57:58 AM »
We are talking about Eastern Bison which were in TN/VA/NC and other eastern areas. They were a sub-species of the western Bison you are talking about.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

blunderbuss

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 01:38:09 AM »
Wish I could but it's been to many years ago and to many guns ago

Mike R

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2011, 05:39:46 PM »
in the early period of the 'deep south'--say late 1600s through mid 1700s--the smoothbore was king.  A variety of French & Liege trade guns, English trade guns, French hunting fusils, French, English and Spanish muskets, etc. were widely distributed in the 'deep south' from the Carolinas through Louisiana & Texas.  The rifle culture developed in the south in the later 1700s and into the early 1800s.  I find it interesting though, that when cartridge guns started to replace the old muzzleloaders in the southern highlands, many folks turned to the single shot break-open shotgun--which suggests to me that smoothbores were also in use in the rifle-dominated culture of the south.  Of course the deep south also had its share of bird and small game hunters and I expect the smoothbore fowler was always around--especially where waterfowl were common. I own a single barrel percussion smoothie of ~ 20 gauge that appears to be an European import of ~ 1850s and has a history of use in Arkansas.

blunderbuss

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 03:13:26 AM »

I do remember it had no broad arrow