Author Topic: Removing oil stains  (Read 5113 times)

MAC57

Removing oil stains
« on: September 24, 2011, 03:42:41 PM »
Gentlemen,
How do I best remove oil stains from a stock? I am repairing an old stock that is soaked with oil where I need to glue it back together. Thanks for any help.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Removing oil stains
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 03:55:25 PM »
Lacquer thinner will take most of the oil out, and drive some of it deeper. But it will also take the finish off. I don't think you have a lot of options.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Macon Due

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 05:54:53 PM »
Sir
you might try a heat gun applied to the area and just wipe the oil as it comes up. You can try the 'thinner' mentioned or 91% rubbing alcohol as well. You can also try placing it in kitty litter [totally covered] for a few days and finally I have heard it mentioned that Easy Off oven cleaner will bring the old oil up and out?
Macon

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 07:25:56 PM »
To bring the oil to the surface much like the heat gun, you can also let an incadescent light bulb burning near the wood.  This will pull the oil to the surface and you can wipe it away about every 12 hours, until it stops weeping.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

MAC57

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 09:58:27 PM »
Thank you all. I'll try the light bulb idea first. Then if no success I,ll try the others. Finish is no concern it is ruined anyhow.

Offline kutter

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 03:28:43 AM »
Doing alot of SxS shotgun repair,,I've tried alot of different methods. I finally settled on soaking in laquer thinner for a couple of days first.
If you can get the wood into a heavy duty ziplock bag, it'll take much less thinner to cover it than in a pan. Plus it won't evaporate through any makeshift cover.
Test the plastic bag first with some thinner. Some hold up better than others and don't poke a hole in it!.

After a couple days of that, drag it out into the air and it'll dry in a few minutes or less.

Then I paint on a coating of whiting powder made into paste w/alcohol. You can use acetone or the Laq/thinner but they evaporate too fast for me and it's easier to get a nice coating on the wood when mixed with alcohol.

I got a big can of the whiting powder from Brownells years ago and am still using it up.

Hang the coated wood up for a few days to a week. The whiting will turn yellow/brown as the remaining oil weeps to the surface and is absorbed by the whiting powder. When it looks 'spent',,brush it off the wood with a paint brush & old toothbrush for the small areas.
Do this outside as the dust from the powder is like fine cement and will go everywhere.
Wear eye protection!

Recoat,,hang it up again and repeat till no more oil is pulled from the wood. Sometimes takes several coats. The oil can run a grain line and go completely through a stock side to side and deep in through the end grain in the inletting.

Yes it takes a while, but it's the only way to truely remove all of the oil.
Other quicky tricks, solutions, washings, etc get the surface and near surface oil. But after all your hard work of repair and refinish is done,,that down deep stuff will creep to the surface once again and push all your work aside.
It may take a few days, weeks or even a month,,but it will come to the surface as a natural path and push away any finish and weaken a newly glued repair.

Using oven cleaner does work,,but again it gets the surface and near surface oil.
It works by turning the oil to soap with the use of lye.
I have used it on stocks that don't have deep oil and that can also use the wood color evened up from stains, etc..

Now do a second treatment with wood bleach (oxalic acid).
It will nicely even up the color of the wood and lighten it a bit too after using the whiting powder de-oiling method. It leaves it very nice for staining and finish.
(This will neutralize the heavy base lye componenet in the oven cleaner if you used that method, though I don't really recommend it for deep, in the wood oil problems).
I do a quick dry with a propane torch to get rid of the surface water but let it hang and dry on it's own for a day or so after. Careful  not to burn edges of inletting etc with a torch. It'll dry on it's own just as well.

Do Not use ordinary laundry bleach for the process. Wood bleach is available at Home Depot type stores in the paint and refinishing dept.s Mix the crystals with warm water and slosh it on. Rinse afterwards also.

Wear eye protection at a minimum when doing any of this stuff.

Dave K

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 04:24:58 AM »
I also do allot of SxS refinishing. I have a tub that is used for storage of items and is plastic made me Sterlite.(sp) I use acetone. I let it soak submerged in this for a few days. Then pour off the "used" acetone and replace with new. You can put the old acetone back in the same can it came from, just mark the can that it is used. I reuse it this way. The tub comes with a pretty decent lid, which is good as acetone evaporates fast. But usually in a few days of soaking in the acetone and then another soak for a day in clean acetone, it is really clean wood now. The down side is that any glued joints will now need to be redone. But in most cases I have found that to be a good thing as I can glue it better than it was anyhow. Anyhow, the wood is not oil free, will hold a good glue joint now and as we all know, oil will also break down wood as well. After some days of drying the acetone out, it is ready to repair and refinish. If you ever see pictures of any of my old guns that I restored or repaired, they went through this treatment as I have been doing this for about 10yrs. Be sure to use the acetone outside as the acetone is very flammable and the fumes are also hazardous to your health.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 07:59:30 AM »
Pack with diatomaceous earth and warm the stock. Find in pet stores.
It will suck up a lot of oil. Short of boiling in Trisodium Phosphate I know of nothing that will remove oil staining and even this might fail.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 08:04:27 AM »
Just read the acetone post this sounds good.
I have not been down this road in 20 years.
The diatomaceous earth will work on finished guns that have had oil run out the vent or nipple and into the stock. But it won't get it all.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

MAC57

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 01:29:45 PM »
I tried acetone, but only buy soaking a rag and wrapping it around the stock.  I knew acetone would work but did not think about evaporation. Then whiting as a final drawing agent should do the trick. Thank you all so much for your time and insight.

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 04:14:37 PM »
I've used acetone for years to clean parts before epoxying (knives mostly), and it always makes me nervous to have an open can of the stuff on my bench. Remember what Dave K says, the stuff is EXTREMELY flammable ! Please do be careful with an open tub of the stuff and use it outside like he suggests.