Author Topic: Antique Spoke Shaves  (Read 4836 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Antique Spoke Shaves
« on: September 21, 2011, 11:08:12 PM »
I found these antique spoke shaves for my gunsmith display.  Not sure how old they are, but
they are similar to the ones used by my Shreckengost ancestors.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline alyce-james

Re: Antique Spoke Shaves
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:22:57 PM »
I have one styled the same as the center example shown with same type blade insert. I had to forge a new blade insert a few years ago. On my work area and used often. Turkeyfooter.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline rickw

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 01:21:27 AM »
They really work well, especially on end grain.
I added a bone insert to the sole in front of the blade to one of mine. It improved its performance a lot.
Rick W

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 06:13:26 AM »
Ron Hock makes wonderful blades and irons. He has two sizes of irons to make your own shaves. See here:

http://www.hocktools.com/SP.htm
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 06:53:46 AM »
Ron Hock makes wonderful blades and irons. He has two sizes of irons to make your own shaves. See here:

http://www.hocktools.com/SP.htm
Thanks for the link Kermit,
I did not know Hock made spokeshave blades.
Dave

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 03:17:48 PM »
I have a couple of similar spokeshaves and find them quite useful!
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Habu

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 09:30:39 PM »
Every once in a while, I'll pick up one of those wood-bodied spokeshaves and give it another try.  I never can get them to work right, so I'll trade it off and go back to my drawknives and Stanley spokeshaves. 

But they sure do look better than a cast-iron shave.

sleddman

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 05:11:37 AM »
Ive been using wooden spokeshaves for years carving decoys and shorebirds. But, when it comes to maple stocks I find it to be a little hard to control.  When cutting through the curl it usually pops out a nice chunk here and there so be carefull

Offline James

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 05:32:39 AM »
I've had the opposite experience from Habu, but I think I may not be adjusting the Stanley shave right. I like my wooden ones better.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Online smokinbuck

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 06:48:50 AM »
Ron,
I have 2 spoke shaves like what you have pctured, in 2 diferent sizes. I found them in an old tool box and they are complete with blades and original metal wedges. The larger one is marked "Henry Dixon Heritage Works, Sheffield.
Mark
Mark

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 09:08:34 AM »
Hey Guys!

Wooden spokeshaves require a deft touch when sharpening, adjusting, and using. Usually an antique shave's throat has worn down, and you actually need to either replace the whole shave (wood part) or inlet a new throat. Wooden shaves where meant to be rebuilt using the iron as the basis for a new one. Boxwood, beech, and apple are the prefered woods. You will hear purists speaking of not using ivory, brass, steel, or bone wear strips because they feel that all the benefits of wood on wood are lost.

Your steel shaves likewise require a little bit of work to get them to peel a .001 sheet of wood off. I always recomend the Stanley 151s for someone new to spokeshaves as the twin adjustment screws make it relatively easy to get the blade just right. The sole needs to be flattened and polished, and the bed needs to be flattened (or built up) so that the iron makes full contact with it. The iron, of course needs to be razor sharp.

I have many spokeshaves waiting for my eventual return. When I rehabilitate them, I will be sure to post them on the shop tools forum.

Albert