Author Topic: questions for flintlock shooters  (Read 13612 times)

roundball

Re: questions for flintlock shooters
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 08:44:54 PM »

I'm pondering candidates for an absorbent/wiping vent pick to do a more thorough job.

100% cotton pipe cleaners

BrownBear

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 10:00:52 PM »
Where's that head-slap smiley button when I need it?   ::)

Thanks!

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 01:41:43 AM »

I'm pondering candidates for an absorbent/wiping vent pick to do a more thorough job.

100% cotton pipe cleaners
'Wit' the little wires sticking out the sides. :P ::)

'

roundball

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 02:05:33 AM »

'Wit' the little wires sticking out the sides. :P ::)

I'm really surprised you'd recommend pipe cleaners with wires sticking out...I'd worry about wear.

I've used only these 100% cotton for a dozen years now, every range trip...every cleaning session, etc.

http://pipesandcigars.com/diprpicl.html
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:10:24 AM by roundball »

nosrettap1958

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 09:33:15 PM »
So, those two guys have flintlocks that may not need the extra attention, mine does and I pretty much do everything Lucky has mentioned while hunting. I check my pan of powder religiously and if I get just a little jittery about its state then out it goes and the process starts all over again and that is wipe the frizzen face and edge of the flint, sweep the pan out, pick the touch hole and pour more in. Repeat, repeatedly during the day.   
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:35:06 PM by crawdad »

Daryl

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 04:01:27 AM »
Interesting, I've never had the need for a pipe cleaner, during or after shooting, but then, I've only been shooting flintlocks for some 6 or so years.  Perhaps when I have more experience I'll see the need? I do have a vent pick tht gets used once or twice at the most during a long range or trail session of more than 50 shots. Seems sooner or later I have to prick some hard fouling chunk from the vent hole. Happens more with 2f than 3F.

Oh- Roger wasn't recommending them - perhaps the ones with wires sticking out are the only ones available where he hails from.  I've never seen one with more than one wire and seeing each end of it. Guess I should have smoked a pipe longer, too. I seem to be missing out.

BrownBear

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 07:11:23 AM »
Interesting, I've never had the need for a pipe cleaner, during or after shooting, but then, I've only been shooting flintlocks for some 6 or so years.  Perhaps when I have more experience I'll see the need? I do have a vent pick tht gets used once or twice at the most during a long range or trail session of more than 50 shots. Seems sooner or later I have to prick some hard fouling chunk from the vent hole. Happens more with 2f than 3F.

The issue I've learned to anticipate is fouling in and very close to the vent picking up moisture and making mud pies, and that in turn congealing the prime granules onto it.  I can still get the prime to go off, but experience everything from FTF to hang fires.  FTF results in a virtual solid plug over the vent.  Just a wet country "thing" I'm sure, but one to contend with, especially when shots can be spaced an hour or more, depending on the hunt.  Lots of other allowances have to be made too in a land of 120 inches of annual rainfall.

roundball

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 10:18:07 PM »

"...especially when shots can be spaced an hour or more, depending on the hunt..."

That's why I use them hunting...if I shoot a deer early (or squirrel, etc) and want to hunt another couple more hours...I always thoroughly field clean the ML after a hunting shot and include a pipe cleaner for fear of exactly what you described...that the humidity will turn the inside of the vent to soup, then it'll clog with prime from the pan that invariably finds its way in there...if I shoot a deer and go home then its a non-issue as I'm not reloading.
I don't do that at the range as every shot is only a couple minutes apart and I'm not jiggling prime into the vent...just prime, shoulder, and fire.