Author Topic: Question about Ohio patchbox release.  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Question about Ohio patchbox release.
« on: January 02, 2012, 03:28:14 PM »
Still working on the flint Vincent and may have over reached my ability.  I got a patchbox from MLBS attributed to the Clarks and have it installed.   First three piece box for me and a fair job of putting it in.  Now I need a release.  I have a push button release to put in, but those really long holes through this really slim butt have me pretty intimidated.  Would it be appropriate to use a "nail" type release ala a banana style southern rifle?  I have the lid notched into the butt plate and would need to slot the lid in front of the butt plate in order for it to work.  I've looked in the library and it doesn't look like this was done.  The button release will have to come down from the top of the butt plate because the toe is almost non existant.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Dave B

Re: Question about Ohio patchbox release.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 07:13:32 PM »
Roger, You have nothing to fear with using a toe release. It seems like you have no room for a release rod but this is not so. The kit type release may seem over large but you can turn/grind the stop portion down a little and still have it keep its place with out trouble. The rod that I made using a 16 d dupex nail have worked great.

I just grind down the edge of the first head depending of the thickness of the return on the butt plate or shorten it up if only going through a toe plate. The width of the toe section would have to be thin indeed for this not to work for you. I would not use the poor boy type of release on a Ohio rifle unless you really just wanted to use one. Just my 2 cents worth
Dave Blaisdell