Author Topic: November Cody Turkey Shoot  (Read 2742 times)

SPG

November Cody Turkey Shoot
« on: November 13, 2011, 06:15:13 PM »
Gentlemen,
We enjoyed gusty quartering tailwinds, 5-20 MPH, and 40 degrees on the 12th for our monthly turkey match. Challenging conditions and excellent practice. The usual 10 shots from rest, turkey head target, string measure from X-center, 7 inches for a miss.

Steve Garbe- 9.816"
Dan Phariss- 10.072"
George Dillman- 14.836"
Robbie Robinson- 34.815"
Jim Betters- 48.988"

Center to center, farthest bullet holes-
Robbie Robinson- 2.515"
Dan Phariss- 2.995"
Steve Garbe- 4.540"

It was very easy to get caught on a quickly changing condition, hence some riflemen had complete misses on  an 8 1/2" by 11" target. My average hold-off was 3-inches with a .45 and 65 grains of 3FG Swiss. I know that Dan was holding less than that with his .50, but Robbie was holding more like 4 inches with his .40 Vincent. You can see by the measurements on the farthest bullet holes that if one managed to pick up a gust (or let-off) it could be ugly. Robbie shot a great group, but unfortunately, it was not centered on the turkey head.

After the match there was enlightening conversation on how tough the old-time turkey matches would have been when live birds were used. Not everyone's cup of tea, to be sure, but interesting to some. The challenge of hitting a moving target would dial in a whole new set of problems.

Doughnuts and coffee were in abundance and the snowstorm stayed up on the hill long enough for us to easily finish the match. A good time was had by all. No smooth-bore shooters, however. Maybe one day...

Equipment list-

Dan Phariss- .50 Phariss/Dickert flintlock, gain twist MacLemore barrel, .495 cast ball, pure lead, 104 grains 2FG Swiss, ticking patch/water soluble oil, wiped, blade front, barrel rear sight, 18 lbs.
Steve Garbe- .45 King/Armstrong flintlock, 1-66 Douglas, .446 cast ball, pure lead, 65 grains 3FG Swiss, .015 linen/sperm oil, .020 powder patch, wiped, blade front, barrel peep, 8.5 lbs.
Robbie Robinson- .40 Garbe/Vincent, 1-48 Green Mountain, .395 Hornady swaged ball, pure lead, 50 grains 3FG Swiss, .012 linen/1-7 water soluble oil, ticking powder patch, wiped, RWS caps, hooded crosswire front, peep rear sight, 8 lbs.
George Dillman- .50 Stroh/Virginia flintlock, Green Mountain barrel, .495 Speer swaged, pure lead, 75 grains 1 1/2FG Swiss, .015 ticking/Wonder lube, wiped, blade front, open barrel rear sight, 7.5 lbs.
Jim Betters- .54 Betters/Hawken flintlock, 1-72 Sharon barrel, .535 cast ball, pure lead, 90 grains Goex 2FG, .010 patches/spit, wiped, blade front, open barrel rear sight, 10.5 lbs.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: November Cody Turkey Shoot
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 07:27:59 PM »

The usual suspects.
I might add that Jim was having patch problems and found out the hard way his patches were not up to the task.
Hopefully he will get this sorted out by next month.

He still managed to win one shot. Beating one of my closest to center shots naturally. Payback for my beating Dan last month over his best shot of the day I suppose.
It is very easy when trying to get the wind hold where the shooter thinks it should be to then lose the vertical hold by letting the front sight drift up and down while guessing the hold. This got me 2-3 times and others as well I am sure. Very easy to do.
Shooting in the wind, even a relatively light wind like yesterday is far different than shooting in calm or even 5 MPH wind. A slight lapse in judgement or an sudden puff of wind can put the ball out 2" in one direction or another.

Last month we had to suspend the match for about 30 minutes when a squall blew through and a gust tipped the backers over.

This month we used one of the wind proof stands made of grader blades.
Sometimes we go out an lay them down temporarily to prevent damage. Since we have seen them blow over, ripping a backer from the stands and sending it downwind 30 yards onto the 22 silhouette range.

Dan
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:24:28 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 08:26:04 PM »
Nasty looking bunch. ;) 

That gun needs finishing, Dan - pitter patter.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 11:15:12 PM »
Nasty looking bunch. ;) 

That gun needs finishing, Dan - pitter patter.

The Nov shoot got cancelled. I think great will have it done by Dec shoot. Then its set for last weekend so I shot it white again 1/2 carved and with a filed finish patchbox. Too many things been getting in the way of gun making.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine