Author Topic: Question regarding smoothbores  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Question regarding smoothbores
« on: November 26, 2011, 04:14:46 AM »
My son-in-law wanted to hunt with a flintlock tomorrow so I told him I would loan him my Jacob Dickert .54 caliber and I would use my 16 bore flint Fowler with round ball.

I had not shot it with round ball and he had not shot my .54 so late this afternoon we went out to shoot a few times. He did well with the .54, especially for a Boston bred yankee that had never fired a gun until he married my daughter! Then I loaded up the 16 bore with a round ball and 80 grains of FFF. When it went off it sounded like I was shooting through a culvert! Never heard such a sound, actually  sounded similiar to a bell ring. But the ball was right on target at 25 yards.

Loaded up another round and the got the same sound. Let my son-in-law fire it a time or two and standing about 10 foot away and to the rear it sounds even worse than when I was shooting it. Each time the ball impact is right on target but the awfullest racket you ever heard. I suspect a deer might drop from fright even if I missed him!

Any one have this sound with their smoothbore? Mine is a 44 inch Colerain Oct to round in a full sugar maple stock. I have shot it many times with shot/wad and never heard anything like this.
Dennis
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 04:17:01 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Daryl

Re: Question regarding smoothbores
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 04:26:19 AM »
If there's a bit of blow-by, it can sound 'extra' hollow - but can't say as I've hear a bell-ringing sound. You'd think with 85gr. 3F, you'd get a bit of a crack form a 16 bore - I'd estimate it must be doing about 1,250fps with a ball lighter than I was shooting, as long as your patch wasn't too thin.

85gr.3F used to do 1,225fps from my 14 bore rifle. It cracked.

Sub-sonic reports can sound really wierd, though.

omark

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 06:00:02 AM »
what amazes me is that you let your daughter marry a yankee, specially one that couldnt shoot!!!! mark     ::)

Vomitus

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 09:18:14 AM »
 I've heard a Brown Bess make an odd report.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 05:59:01 PM »
long as your patch wasn't too thin
That may be the key. I was using 80 grains of FFF not 85, not sure how much that changed the velocity. Plus the patch material I had with me was too thin (.018"). Will have to get some thicker patching and try it. Can't stand the sound, not normal!
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 08:01:01 PM »
Could be, Dennis.  Using even 80gr. of 3F, it should be over the sound barrier and crack quite well.  The larger bores can make an odd sound- similar to a shot made without ball.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 01:37:34 AM »
My 20 bore sometimes sounds like that when I forget to remove my hearing aids.  ::)
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

blunderbuss

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 02:14:41 AM »
Did you check the barrel for cracks?