Author Topic: Apple Wood Stock  (Read 6945 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Apple Wood Stock
« on: December 12, 2011, 08:08:46 PM »
I have a stock blank of apple wood that was harvested in 1980 that I have a project in mind for.  I have no problem stocking up the firearm.  What I am interested in is how to finish it.  Does anyone any experience with finishing apple?  I plan on experimenting on the scraps but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Dave   

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Apple Wood Stock
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 08:22:57 PM »
Wonderful fine grained wood and some is spectacularly colored in heartwood.  Are you asking about staining?  I have made small things of apple, spoons, powder horn plugs, etc but have left it unstained.  Even the plain colored pieces have a nice mellow color that seems to age and darken a little like cherry or osage.  If related to cherry it will stain black with AQF; have not tried lye.
Andover, Vermont

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:13:31 PM »
I have used applewood.  Some had very nice figure that resembled lace.  However, when stained, all the character of the wood disappeared and it resembled a piece of stained basswood.  There was no difference in the hardness of the figure and the wood.  It does carve nice.  Now I only stain it black and use it for fake ebony nosecaps.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 06:21:55 AM »
I would try a natural oil finish/oil varnish on a scrap. Should look good.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline James

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 06:23:06 AM »
Will the oil slow the darkening?
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 06:33:10 AM »
I think fruit woods like apple were used for scientific instruments because of its stability...and by screw tip horn makers for their plugs...maybe researching how those fellas finished the wood would help you decide how to finish yours?
tca 
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 06:38:04 AM »
James,
Boiled Linseed oil enhances the darkening of cherry.  Since I have never worked with apple, I don't know.  But even with unstained, or undyed curly maple, the oil darkened it some and it aged nicely to a honey brown over some years.  So you might try it.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 08:30:23 AM »
Will the oil slow the darkening?

The oil, without the stain since its apparently a bad idea from posts here, will simply slightly darken the wood and enhance any color or figure.  Darken is a relative term. A pale piece of European walnut is greatly enhanced, over a period of weeks or longer, by the use of a dark boiled linseed oil.
"European or American Walnut, unless a very poor piece of wood, never needs staining if a natural drying oil based finish is used. But it works best if the first coat of oil is allowed to soak into the wood and then a varnish is applied over this if a varnish is desired.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 08:56:52 AM »
If it's apple , let it be apple. Don't try what you would do to maple. I picked up a very thick apple trunk from a farmer about 20 years ago and drove it down to Ron Griffie. An adventure in itself. He got half and I got half if he'd section and bandsaw and air cure my blank. I got my blank a coup[le of years later and made a fowler years after that. My first experiment in antiquing. I stained it with LMF honey maple and darkened low areas and around lock and sideplate with lampblack mixed into the Permalyn I finished it with. Looked great.

Offline deano

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 02:20:13 PM »
I am not sure I have ever seen a big piece of Apple wood, is it similar to Pear or other fruit woods with a smooth texture and dense weight?

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 06:36:27 PM »
The only apple I have seen was indistinguishable from cherry.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

woodburner

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 06:32:11 AM »
I turn wood and use Velvit oil, a Wisconsin product.  It is the best finish
I have tried.  Velvit oil is available as an exterior grade; yet untried.
Google "Velvit oil" and you should find them.  The exterior gun oil is
offered by Midwayusa also.  The color variation in apple wood I have
turned was striking.  Good luck!