Author Topic: J P Beck question(s)  (Read 9242 times)

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
J P Beck question(s)
« on: November 29, 2008, 02:38:44 AM »
Would an early Ketland lock be appropriate for a J. P. Beck rifle?   If not, what would you suggest...Siler?  Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Kentucky Jeff

Re: J P Beck question(s)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 03:17:20 AM »
While english locks would not be uncommon germanic locks seem to be more prevalent.  A large Siler or something similar would be my first choice. 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 04:33:09 AM »
Yup - I concur.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 06:15:58 AM »
Actually, a small Siler is closer in size to those I have seen on Beck rifles.  I think Davis is producing a lock that falls somewhere between a small Siler size and the large Siler.  This lock may be just about perfect in size.   The early Ketland is a pretty large lock for this application. 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

don getz

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 07:33:17 AM »
I concur with Lucky above, the small siler would be the most appropriate.  The Stan Hollenbabugh lock, which was originally designed and made by Bob Ditchburn, is supposed to be copied from a Beck lock.  I have also used the Davis
"Classic" lock on several Beck rifles.  They are slighly smaller than a large siler, are very trim top to bottom, and seem to
work quite well............Don

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 09:46:19 AM »
I agree with Don and Ron. Though Beck made robust rifles the locks are relativaly small. Stan Hollenbaugh's  Ditchburn lock is just right. I've made a couple Becks long in the past and trimmed a large Siler as small as I could get it in one case and used the Ditchburn lock in another. Beck ,I think, made his own locks almost always. Something like a Chambers Early Ketland would be off the mark for Beck. Modified Large Siler or Deluxe, Ditchburn, small Siler, would be the ticket.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 06:39:11 PM »
Gents...  Thanks very much for the information, greatly appreciated.  I think I'll look at either modifying a large siler, or use a small siler.  Again, thanks very much for the help.  After pouring over a bunch of pics last night I too noticed that Beck seemed to use smaller locks.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 10:57:48 PM »
I too appreciate everyone's input.  It will make a difference how I approach my own interpretation of a JP Beck, regarding choice of locks.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 09:00:56 AM »
VA, my bitch about small Silers is that there is little room on the plate for a forward lock bolt, and at half cock, not much room for anything but a short flint. Ergo, the large Siler made a tidbit smaller.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 09:02:17 AM »
Small Siler makes an excellent lock for a Kentucky. The Don King rile in the photos on the contemporary forum has a small siler and what would today be a "C" weight swamp.
There are some later Becks with more modern looking locks.
See page 71 of Whiskers "Gunsmiths of Lancaster County".
I *think* the JP Beck in the Cody Museum had a very similar lock originally. The original lock inlet looks much like the lock in this rifle. This rifle is a 1/2 oct. smooth bore. With "whale tail" patchbox.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 06:54:15 PM »
I have used several of Stan's locks and can vouch for their quality.  Super fast!!  Stan says that you can actually install them into an original Beck mortise.  If anyone knows about Becks it would be Stan.
Gary Tucker

George F.

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 07:39:21 PM »
M&G makes a Germanic lock a tad smaller than a large Siler and has a thicker bolster.   ...Geo.

Offline Benedict

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 08:37:29 PM »
Who is M&G?

George F.

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 09:07:54 PM »
I am new also to the M&G locks. I bought one from TIP CURTIS at Dixon's this summer. I also noticed that R.E.Davis also carries them. There was another vendor at the fair that had them also, but can not remember who it was, sad, 'cause I talked to him for nearly an hour.   ... Geo.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 01:39:27 AM »
Thanks again for all the good input.  I went with a large Siler and did some modification to the rear of the plate, i.e., made it a little shorter and redid the angle.  I think it came out fairly nice. 

Bill, I'm glad you mentioned the issue with the forward lock bolt...  I was also concerned about that.  Makes me feel better about my choice.

George, I agree with you about the M&G locks, I really like 'em, mainly because of that nice thick bolster.  It makes getting the cheek area right alot easier.

Thanks again...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 10:05:30 PM »
I believe "M&G" stands for "Mold And Gunshop" which is Larry Zornes' business. I think he did the molds for several of Davis's locks and also had several component/ kit sets out on the market (?) - the Jacob Dubbs pattern comes to mind, and some early French guns.

I've heard the M&G locks are nice locks.

Guy