Author Topic: Rifle Cradle  (Read 5946 times)

eagle24

Rifle Cradle
« on: December 20, 2011, 11:23:28 PM »
I'm going to build some sort of cradle type stand for cleaning my rifles so I can clean the barrel in a horizontal position with the sights turned down.  I know it's not rocket science, but if you have an pictures of what you use, I would love to see them.  Should it be constructed so the muzzle is slightly higher than the breech?

Offline pulaski

Re: Rifle Cradle
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 04:27:50 AM »
GHall ,
Had a similar thought awhile back . Decided to build a barrel cleaning water rod .
Used a 1/4" copper rod that is 2" shorter than the barrel . Mounted this through  a piece of plastic . (imagine , sword like)
There are holes in the plastic so the water can drain away and the entire thing is mounted on a wide legged aluminum legs . This all stands about 8" off the ground .
There is a reducing fitting sweated on the copper so it can be attached to the garden hose . Forgot to mention that I drilled small holes near the terminal end of the copper rod .
Mount the barrel onto the rod , turn on the hose for a couple of minutes and blast the inside of the barrel clean .
Couple of dry patches and then an oil patch , barrels clean
Thanks , Steve

roundball

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 04:52:02 AM »

I'm going to build some sort of cradle type stand for cleaning my rifles so I can clean the barrel in a horizontal position with the sights turned down.  I know it's not rocket science, but if you have an pictures of what you use, I would love to see them.  Should it be constructed so the muzzle is slightly higher than the breech?

Just some other ideas to help the thinking process...
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=10153/Products/Gun-Cleaning-Cradles

I had an MTM type like this link:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8793/Product/PORTABLE-RIFLE-MAINTENANCE-CENTER

Tried that cleaning approach a couple times...but it was more trouble than it was worth for me...messy...if I could have had it on a rolling cart and done it outside it might have been OK, but don't like that during the winter months
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 04:58:58 AM by roundball »

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 09:14:05 PM »
I have an MTM cradle that I use with my gopher rifles as the compartments carry all my cleaning supplies.  At home, I use the bench vice for holding the barrel for drying. I stick the breech end in a bucket of water for pumping water throughout the bore for actual cleaning.

I think perhaps you might have to make the cradle, using the pictures of commercial cradles as a guide.  The stability of teh cradle might be a big deal with just a barrel on it. When used with a modern rifle, the rifle's entire weight is in/on the cradle and you're holding the stock by the wrist - I suspect giving much more control than holding on to the end of a barrel.

roundball

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 10:07:14 PM »
One option would be a fairly wide stance, heavy 2x6 affair with carpeted "V" holders, that could be set on a rolling cart to at least get it outside the garage door for the bore to drain outside, etc.

My most valuable, functional, convenient work space is a waist high Sears Craftsman multi-drawer tool chest on wheels.
I mounted a 2' x 4' x 3/4" piece of plywood on top, then double layers of carpet...have all my cleaning and ML unique items in the drawers.  If/when I don't want any possible interference I just roll it away from walls a few feet and can work around it from all sides.

Such a cradle could be set on top of it and rolled outside the door for that kind of cleaning...

eagle24

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 05:52:34 PM »
Actually, I am building a cradle so I can clean the barrel while it is in the stock.  I have been removing the barrel and sticking the breech end in a bucket of water.  All my rifles are southern or tennessee styles with long tangs.  My deer rifle has about a 7" lollipop tang that is about 1/8" long for the last 5 or so inches.  I think it's a matter of time before I have an accident and bend a tang or damage a stock.  A cradle would allow me to clean the rifle upside down in a horizontal position so that any leakage of water wouldn't run down into the stock.  I used sandbags the other night but would like something more secure and stable.

BrownBear

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 06:19:29 PM »
I've used one of these for over 30 years.  Solid as the day is long, and you can change the angle or cant of a gun to suit the job.  Easy enough to build your own, but this one is so well made I've never needed another.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 07:17:26 PM »
Exactly, BBear- the one with the butt clamp. Greg brought up an excellent point about long tanges. If one bends, when bent back, if possible, it will then, possibly be longer than the inlet depending on how much it bent - it's not something to take lightly.

Taylor addresses this with a tang protector - block of wood hollowed out to take the tang, so only the breech of the barrel is supported on the top of the block. The tang floats inside.  If he sees this post, he might take a picture for us- or make a drawing.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 03:04:13 AM »
I use this cradle during building, cleaning, etc.  Sorry the picture is so blurry.  Simple to make out of 2x6's, notched at each end with some buckskin stapled on for cushion.  You can barely make it out in the top of the near side, I made a cut out to accept an assembled lock and a hole for the tumbler to drop into.  Handy for removing the hammer from the tumbler shaft.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline trentOH

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 05:57:24 AM »
  Solid as the day is long,

;) That would be a more impressive endorsement if it weren't delivered on the Winter Solstice!

chuck-ia

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 04:40:53 PM »
I cut a 3 foot 2 by 4 (or thereabouts) mounted a v block on each end and then bolted it to a saw horse, glued leather in the v of each block, set the rifle in upside down using a clamp suction tube over the vent  (from track) and clean away. Been using it for years, seems to work very well. chuck

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 08:29:52 PM »
ghall,
Any of the available cradles will do what you want if you put the rifle into them upside down. I usually clamp the rifle iinto my bench vice with a support under the stock. Just wrap a rag around the breach area and keep all the junk from the touch hole or drum from getting on the floor.
Mark
Mark