Author Topic: Burnish the lock mortice??  (Read 9435 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Burnish the lock mortice??
« on: November 21, 2008, 07:23:52 PM »
Trying to find a 'new' subject on this site is truly a challenge; but maybe this is one!

We all see hogged out lock mortices and we also see such that look much like a mirror image of the lock innards.  I think the latter shows pride of the builders workmanship and is a nice touch.  Now then:  Do any of you burnish the lock mortice inside surfaces or are you satisfied with a fairly smooth but uneven scrape job ???

Come on now fess up ;D

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Burnish the lock mortice??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 07:38:21 PM »
I can't say I've ever went even as far as scraping a lock mortise.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 07:44:17 PM »
I make an effort to cut away any fibres that are obvious, to smooth it up within reason.  The cuts made by sharp chisels is normally all that the mortise gets.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 08:03:36 PM »
 I don't burnish the inside lock mortice. I don't shine the bottom of my shoes ethier.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 08:05:19 PM »
Hi Roger,
Good question!  I scrape the lock mortice to smooth the bottoms of the inlets and I clean the edges of the inlets so they are smooth.  I am not anal, however, about surgically removing just enough wood to fit the lock parts.  All of my mortices have more wood removed than absolutely necessary.  For example, rarely do any of my inlets clearly show the outline of the bridle. I would rather do that than fuss too much inletting individual parts and risk damaging the edge of the mortice with a scraper or chisel. I clean the edges so that there is no chance that the lockplate or any internal part can grab a splinter of wood and tear it out when the lock is removed for cleaning.  Because I live in a very, very wet climate, I seal the lock mortice with whatever finish I am using on the stock (usually some combination that includes polyurethane and tung oil).

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

keweenaw

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 09:09:32 PM »
My lock mortises always look like this. What are you guys doing wrong?  The only hard part is putting in the mirror image of the serial number.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 09:51:36 PM »
Look at that lock especially the mainspring!  Beautiful!
Andover, Vermont

keweenaw

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 11:11:37 PM »
The lock is from a Westley Richards circa 1870.  Close to the finest lock making ever done.  I shoot sporting clays with the gun each week all summer long.

J.D.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 02:18:03 AM »
Look at that lock especially the mainspring!  Beautiful!

I was thinking the same thing. Do those bevels on each leaf of the spring terminate at a bevel coming off of the bend, or am I seeing things?

I love the beautiful workmanship on those old locks.

Amazing workmanship.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 04:19:16 AM »
Hi Rich,
The image below shows a pretty typical job of inletting for me.  It is not my best but also not my worst.  The big primitive English flintlock took up a lot of space so I had a lot of inlet to smooth and tidy up.  It came out pretty well. I allowed a little extra depth to assure clearance of the huge mainspring but forgot about the ramrod hole.  The silver lining is the the mainspring puts a little pressure on the ramrod holding it nicely in the hole.  I'd like to say that my uncommon brilliance was at work and I planned the whole thing but that would be a lie.  Just one of my more typical screw ups.

dave

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 05:20:58 AM »
Snyder.
   You forgot the screw slots!!!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 08:12:52 AM »
I heard some one talking about the use of a punch that was polished up as a screw head with slot and all and the stocker would punch the wood at the points of the bridle screw inlets. I thought they said Lynton McKensie talked about knowing some english stockers doing this. I am not sure if he was kidding or not.
I love that piece by the way, a glorious gun with out a doubt.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 05:54:26 PM »
One must be careful when using the "mirror image" method of inletting a lock.  Too close of a tolerance can have disastrous consequences in a wet hunting situation when swelling of the wood occurs and all of a sudden your lock "freezes up".   Too good can spell grief.
DMR

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 06:13:15 PM »
I polished the bottom of my shoes once after a junior high school guidance counselor insisted that's what gentlemen do.  I fell on the ice first time I went outside.  The counselor got fired the next year.  I don't polish the bottoms of my shoes snce nor do I don't burnish the lock mortise either

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 12:26:37 AM »
  Actually.
  There is a place for such detailed work. High end English guns were often displayed in the cases with the locks removed to show such workmanship.  Real nice work you guys. My hat is off to you for your dedication to the art.  I just can't resist the urge to be a wise guy now and then.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 04:51:22 AM »
Roger,

As you know, I am just a hobby maker.  I choose to scrape the lock inlet as smooth as I can.  I have not yet gotten to the point where my inlets look that English double but I try.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 04:51:37 AM »
A Marine DI made me polish the inside of my standard issue brass belt buckle with Brasso and a Q tip once....does that count?
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 06:13:08 AM »
You weren't drafted into the Marines - therefore  you voluntarily polished the inside of your belt buckle.   ;D

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 07:34:38 AM »
Jerry is absolutely correct and thanks for that insight.  Often English guns made in the 19th century were cased with the locks removed from the stocks.  The quality of the lock inlet would have been a selling point.  Can you imagine a fine cased gun showing a hogged out lock inlet? 

dave