Author Topic: 1st Post: Rifle No. 2, One Piece Swaged Muzzle Cap.  (Read 6403 times)

JohnTyg

1st Post: Rifle No. 2, One Piece Swaged Muzzle Cap.
« on: December 30, 2011, 12:58:58 AM »
This is a reply to a recent thread, but am listing it as a separate topic, since this is my first post and also simply wanted to say hello.

My first rifle was from a Dixie kit given to me, along with Kindig's book, for Christmas 1971.  Results were what you would expect from a 15 yr. old.  I've been working on rifle No. 2 now, off and on (mostly off),  for over 10 years now.  I'll post pics of that shortly, once I refine the architecture a little more.  Looking forward to suggestions/comments prior to carving and finishing.

Back to swaged caps.  Tried a commercial muzzle cap and it didn't look right for what I wanted (same said for a commercial side-plate).  I tried a hardwood former with well annealed brass but the wood deformed with the heavier gauge of brass that I wanted to use (>1/16").  Also the edge where it folded over was poorly formed.  Picked up a piece of 1' iron pipe, cut it down and file to shape.  Bent my thicker gauge brass around it and simply held it in place in a vice.  I was surprised how easily it formed and with a very clean edge.  Photos attached.

You have a great site here and I've picked up a few pointers since I stumbled into it last year.  Looking forward to posting progress on my rifle once it is worthy (don't want to give you too much to comment on).

Best regards,
John Tygart

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:57:41 AM by aka tallbear »

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: 1st Post: Rifle No. 2, One Piece Swaged Muzzle Cap.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 02:59:29 AM »
I fixed the pics for you ;D ;D ;D

Mitch

Offline FALout

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 02:59:44 AM »
John, As you work the brass you will need to keep on annealing it.  You also need to work slowly to bend the brass over or else you will get a fold where you don't want it, keep working from one side to the other.
Bob

JohnTyg

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 03:09:22 AM »
Mitch,
Thanks,  whatever it was you did.
John

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 05:45:29 AM »
John, looks good but another thing you are doing is some real gunsmithing and figguring out things as they pop up. Keep up the good work and Happy New Year.    Smylee

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 07:09:39 AM »
John,

Good looking nosecap.  One suggestion that may save a bit of work is to not worry about finihing the cap until it is installed.   In this way, the wood and cap can be filed down together and makes for a very clean look.  I usually just form the cap, perhaps rough file a few spots, install and pin in place then file and polish.  Keep up the good work.

Jim

JohnTyg

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 02:35:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies,

Jim, finishing as I go is probably why this is taking me so long.  Still lots of metal on the cap to file down to match the stock.  Saw one of your rifles at a show here over the summer.  Beautiful work and dealer suggested that I should purchase it to as a model for study while I worked on mine.  That's part of the challenge as all I have is the internet and books. Every time I see an example first hand, such as yours, I  go back and put more effort into mine.  Hardest part for me has been getting the shape around the lock, wrist and comb to look right.

John

Offline yip

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 03:42:41 PM »
john; great  job, i was on the same thought as you, there has to be a better way and you figured it out. i'll give it a try, THANKS       yip

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 04:35:20 PM »
Innovative thinking is NOT in short supply here. Good job John and some good advice from Jim.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 04:47:37 PM »
I like your idea of the pipe for the form. I think that I would chamfer the front edge a bit more to soften that area some, but that's just me.

Welcome to the site. We hope see more.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:49:07 PM by Pete G. »

JohnTyg

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 08:48:42 PM »
Pete, 
I agree, will probably chamfer the edge somewhat, and in future will soften the edge on the former.
(Also if the edge is too sharp or perfect makes it look like a two piece cap.)

"YIP"
If you give this a try I folded the brass nearly all the way around and then, after preening over edge, placed cap in vice held front to back with barrel opening up and carefully cut down and through length-wise and finished with a file to fit to barrel. I didn't try to have it fit prior to folding over the edge. Got it right first time so can't be too hard.

John