Author Topic: swaged nose cap  (Read 5757 times)

Offline yip

swaged nose cap
« on: December 27, 2011, 06:02:30 AM »
   after watching Hershel House's c.d.and him making a swaged nose cap,i thought it'll a project worth trying. does anyone have any ideas of doing it other then the way he does it? just interrested.

BillC

Re: swaged nose cap
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 06:40:48 AM »
First cut away your stock to recieve the cap. Now make a wooden form that duplicates this to  swage your metal on. Useing .040 sheet brass bend to fit your stock then transfer to the forn. Attach with hose clamps and peen over the end. This method is descibed in The Gunsmith Of Greeneville County and it works pretty good. Be sure your brass is kept aneald.
Bill

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 05:10:42 PM »
You can also do it directly on the rifle without making the form. Mike Millers DVD on building a pistol shows this.
" not all who wander are lost"

coutios

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 05:58:50 PM »
YIP, hop to the tutorial section. Acer posted a very nice progression of photos showing his method..  Don't think you will find alot of options. It will be formed either on or off the gun.. I have Millers DVD. I think I'm to much of a klutz to take a hammer anywhere near the muzzle..

Let us know whick method you've choosen

Dave

Offline yip

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 07:49:28 PM »
   thanks dave; looks very interresting,think i'll give it a try.

Offline wmrike

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 09:51:21 PM »
I never looked to see how others were doing it, but my method turned out to be as BillC describes, and it works out pretty nicely.

BillC

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 03:46:05 AM »
I guess the only differences from Hershels method is that the hose clamps hold a lot better than a c-clamp which only puts pressure in one direction and that making the form from a piece of wood means you don't need a section of barrel. Oh, and .040 material is enough of a challenge to form without the 1/16" material Hershel refers to. I've noticed everything in his videos is about 1/16" or less than 1/16" or more than 1/16" so what he actually used is anybody's guess. ;D

Offline yip

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 04:28:00 AM »
   i heard theres a video out there were he builds a complete rifle,i'd like to find that. for the tools he got and that little shop, he's quite a craftsman, and an entertainer.

BillC

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »
Look on American Pioneer Video's website. They have dvd's featuring Hershel,his brother Frank, Wallace Gusler and Mark Silver among others. A lot of good information but the Hershel House videos will be the only ones where dogs, chickens and a squirrel steal the scenes. ;D
As for myself,I would like to find a set of the first video Hershel made back in the 80's. I've heard it was a multi tape set with a lot more detail than the remake they did in the early 90's which is what they still have on dvd. Being several tapes(vhs) it was a bit more expensive and therefore didn't sell that well I guess.

Offline yip

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 01:24:37 AM »
   i talked to pioneer press, they said they made a tape with Hersel, but the audio was terrible. it was a start to finish tape on a rifle build. i wish they would redo it, with moderen technology it has to be possible.

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 02:54:47 AM »
Hershel now uses a metal form, a inch and a quarter stee rod with the last inch turned down to about 7/8" and cut flat on the one side that someone made for him.  Two ring clamps.  Dennis Glazener gave me one he made and it works just as well as a broom handle with ring clamps. 

I am not sure Hershel really knows what gauge his sheet metal is, whatever is on hand.  I like to use 16 or 14 gauge mild steel.  You can get by with less.  I like a bit more meat.

According to Hershel he has never watched his gun building videos.  I have a short 59 min version of his 1980 video.  Rooster crowing, audio up and down.  Skips a lot of detail, got more out of his later ones but still if you want to learn his way take one of his classes.  Have to call or write to get the schedule.  Seems like they hold them when the mood takes them.  Well worth the time, money and distance and the additional  entertainment and feedbag you get to strap on is quite an experience. 

Offline b bogart

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 03:11:00 AM »
I have the 4 tape video with poor sound engineering, rooster crowing and sounds like a coal stoker in the background. I enjoy it very much but it does jump around a bit. Also have the 59(?) minute one. It kind of fills in some of the spots skipped in the long version. I enjoy it too. Wish they were DVDs so I could sit and watch them on my computer with head phones so the rest of the family wouldn't complain about watching the AGAIN. :D

Tony Clark

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 03:28:40 AM »

There's nothing wrong with the videos pioneer press offers now showing Herschel building a kentucky rifle, they show pretty much the whole deal and are very entertaining. There is a good reason his classes were sold out each and every year when he was teaching the NMLRA classes at bowling green. The houses are one of a kind folks. Talk about getting the feed bag strapped on, i can't begin to describe the meals I been fed there, and what good memories. One of the funniest things I remember is spotting this quart jar stuck way up on a top shelf in the B.S. shop half full of clear liquid and what looked like peach in the bottom. I said whta the heck is that and then he showed me. The Houses are good folks for sure. Making a swaged nose cap ain't that hard at all. To figure it out just give it a go that is the fastest and surest way.

Offline yip

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 04:31:28 AM »
  kentsmith; how does one get in touch with Hersel for the classes. i bet its worth the money. i got two sets of cds, and their great, i play em when ever i get the chance.

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 06:50:10 AM »
Best write to John.  John’s Address is:

John House
 PO Box 11
 Woodbury, KY 42288

I have the phone number for both Hershel and John around somewhere in this mess and when I find it I'll email it to you.