Author Topic: lock and liner question  (Read 2761 times)

chuck-ia

lock and liner question
« on: January 10, 2012, 05:18:38 AM »
I plan on using a 1/4" white lightning liner in a 45 cal. b weight barrel, is this the correct size for this barrel? A 5/16" seems a little big, (but would probably work). Allso a friend just brought over a lock from Jim Chambers and was concerned that it has been cycled as there is a flint in the jaws and the frizzen is scraped, seems to me they started testing their locks after building them, is this correct? Allso the tumbler and sear appear to be blued, maybe a different type of heat treating? I know I should probably be asking Jiim  Chambers these questions, but hate to bother them. thanks, chuck

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: lock and liner question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 05:34:34 AM »
   The 1/4 White Lightening would be perfect in the barrel you mention.  I like to use the 1/4" liner and then if there is ever a problem in the future you can always go up to the 5/16".    If you start with the largest size you could possibly use, you have no where to go if something goes wrong. 
    The blue color on the internals is from heat treating.   Jim has been supplying his locks with a leather and flint in place for a year of more now.  I believe that they spark test each lock and make sure that the frizzen opens with a properly installed flint etc.   Just another value added feature of Jim's great locks. 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 02:21:19 AM »
I plan on using a 1/4" white lightning liner in a 45 cal. b weight barrel, is this the correct size for this barrel? A 5/16" seems a little big, (but would probably work). Allso a friend just brought over a lock from Jim Chambers and was concerned that it has been cycled as there is a flint in the jaws and the frizzen is scraped, seems to me they started testing their locks after building them, is this correct? Allso the tumbler and sear appear to be blued, maybe a different type of heat treating? I know I should probably be asking Jiim  Chambers these questions, but hate to bother them. thanks, chuck

Hi Chuck,
Yep, ya should have just bothered me!   ;D

First off, yes a 1/4" liner will work just fine.  Always better to start smaller just in case you ever have to go bigger in the future.

As for the lock...  We used to get complaints about frizzens being soft or not sparking so last year we started test firing each and every one of them.  This allows us to test not only that the lock sparks, but that the whole thing functions properly.  We even began including a FREE flint and leather that people can use as an good example to determine exactly what size flint we recommend as well as how the flint should be placed in the lock for optimal sparks.  Yes different styles of locks prefer different sized, and shaped, flints along with specific positioning in the jaws.  So upon direct advice of the manufacturer (us! ;) ) it is important to not only pay attention to the size and shape of the flint provided but also how it is installed in the lock itself.  Now I know you're not telling me that someone is upset because we increased our quality control!?!  Fellas, bless your hearts, I don't mean to sound harsh but come on now!! 

Some of our lock builders have also been bluing the tumblers and sears for over two years now - we just think they look nice that way.  If someone doesn't like it I'm sure they can polish the blue off.  Doesn't have any affect on the parts. 

Sure hope this helps!  :)
Barbie Chambers
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

chuck-ia

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 05:11:58 PM »
Thanks, chuck