Author Topic: Copper Rivets  (Read 5075 times)

MSLitho

Copper Rivets
« on: November 22, 2008, 04:16:18 PM »
I am somewhat new to gun building.  What size copper rivet is most commonly used?  I know Jim Chambers uses a 100 degree countersunk, but not sure of the diameter or length.  In addition, where can you purchase them?

Ephraim

Re: Copper Rivets
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
Hi for rivets on nose caps I use copper wire.
Ephraim

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 05:50:06 PM »
You might be able to find copper rivets at your local shoe repair shop. Out here we have Oregon Leather Co. that sells all the fun stuff for saddle makers as well as shoe findings. Tandy leather has some #12 harness makers rivets which work well (though are abit large for the job)and come in a bag of 50 (a bit over kill)  http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?DEPT=230&Page=3

The copper wire trick is a good way to go, If you want only one rivet. I personally like to use a #14 copper rivet it has a shank size of about 3/32 so after you peen it out its 3/16 in dia. If your set on using a copper rivet and can't come up with one near by drop me an E-Mail. I use them in my practice, both #14 and #12
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 12:56:42 AM »
I bought a package of copper tacks at the hardware store. Thet are not very precise and need a little cleaning up, but there are plenty of them and the price is negliable.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 01:54:10 AM »
I use harness rivets.  They are pure copper and rivet nicely.  I file the head square so it takes up less room in the barrel channel, is easier to inlet, and orient.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Benedict

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 09:34:40 PM »
I have used harness rivets for years.  They always worked great.  Recently, George Suiter told me that iron was commonly used on early guns.  Also there was an earlier thread about using 3 iron rivets in a triangle on Beck guns.  The 3 rivets seems like a nice touch to me and I plan to try it on the Virginia gun I am building.

Bruce

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 04:09:56 AM »
Marine stuff. Lots of sizes here, and you can buy them by the each rather than a pound or so.

http://shop.woodenboat.org/p-2822-copper-boat-nails-w-countersunk-head.aspx
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 04:11:33 AM »
Copper roofing nails work pretty well.
Larry Luck

Offline C. ALTLAND

• Chris Altland - York County Firelocks - Authentic 18th Century Flintlock Pistol Parts Sets & Pistol Restoration Parts
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 06:07:20 PM »
Mike, here is a good source of cooper belt rivets. They work well for riveting muzzle caps.
http://www.piehtoolco.com/index.html?target=dept_814.html&lang=en-us
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:08:22 PM by C. ALTLAND »
YORK COUNTY FIRELOCKS  PH# 717-755-3682 
http://www.firelockpistols.com/

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 06:54:10 PM »
Try www.JamestownDistributors.com. They have copper nails in several sizes. The only problem is that you have to buy a minimum of one pound.

Black Hand

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 06:58:19 PM »
Try places that repair or sell horse tack.  Our "Quality Supply" local store has them in packages of 25 if I remember well.....

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 07:03:02 PM »
Sure, unless you are planning on building a 'lot' of rifles look around your garage awhile and you will certainly come up with a bit of copper wire heavy enough to make those short pins and they will peen over just fine!

Seven

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 08:41:36 PM »
I bought a 1 lb box of roofing nails from Home Depot for about $7.00.  I bought them for another project but have used a few for nosecaps too.