Author Topic: Broken frizzen spring on my Deluxe Large Siler  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
Broken frizzen spring on my Deluxe Large Siler
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:06:09 PM »
I was shooting today and my frizzen spring broke. With what happened I also decided to go ahead and replace my frizzen as it looks kinda beat up a bit, it still sparks good though. I was looking at a few different places to buy and saw the TOW sites parts. The pic I see of their frizzen whas no hole drilled.
My question: is this the way they all come? Do they all need to be heat treated? I don't have the setup to do any precision machine work let alone "tune" a flintlock if thats part of it and I have never did any heat treating work.

I also saw what I needed on Muzzleloading Supply. TOWs prices are a bit high.
Any other sources?

Thanks.
Skip
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline mark esterly

Re: Broken frizzen spring on my Deluxe Large Siler
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 10:11:36 PM »
direct from jim chambers
www.flintlocks.com
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:12:45 PM by mark esterly »
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 11:40:04 PM »
I agree with mark!! send it to Jim an he will take of it. They are top notch folks!!! ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Scout

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:12:14 AM »
I agree with mark!! send it to Jim an he will take of it. They are top notch folks!!! ;D

You mean I can't replace it myself? Screw in, screw out, done. What do I need to send my lock out for?

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 12:14:43 AM »
To assure a good pan to frizzen fit the frizzen must be drilled for the screw while it is clamped tightly to the pan and plate.  Then, after drilling, it will need to be hardened and tempered.  If you have never done this before, the chances of success are fairly low.  It would definitely be better to send the lock back to us to have that work done.  In all probability, you don't need to actually replace the frizzen unless you have fired several thousand shots with it.  Sanding or grinding the face smooth is likely all it needs.
As for the broken spring, we will replace that under warranty if you return the broken one to us.

greybeard

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 12:20:07 AM »
To assure a good pan to frizzen fit the frizzen must be drilled for the screw while it is clamped tightly to the pan and plate.  Then, after drilling, it will need to be hardened and tempered.  If you have never done this before, the chances of success are fairly low.  It would definitely be better to send the lock back to us to have that work done.  In all probability, you don't need to actually replace the frizzen unless you have fired several thousand shots with it.  Sanding or grinding the face smooth is likely all it needs.
As for the broken spring, we will replace that under warranty if you return the broken one to us.
Now thats good srevice!!!!    Bob

Offline Scout

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 12:29:10 AM »

Thank you Mr. Chambers, I will return the spring.

Thanks for the frizzen advice too. The lock does not have that many shots thru it so I guess it's just me being a greenhorn with flintlocks and bit overcautious. I shot caplocks for years and this is only the 2nd flint rifle I have owned, the first one for a few months and it being an inexpensive rifle made with cheap parts. It never sparked very good so I sold it.