Author Topic: Backwards lock on target rifles?  (Read 2637 times)

Offline Chris Treichel

Backwards lock on target rifles?
« on: January 20, 2012, 06:21:24 PM »
Another questions that has bugged me... I can't find an answer in any books I have read...

Why do many percussion target rifles have their locks mounted backwards?  I keep seeing this without explanation.  Is this so the barrel can be further back by an inch, which would put more of the rifles weight closer to the shoulder and shorten the balance point in favor of the shooter... or is there some other dynamic reason to this?

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Re: Backwards lock on target rifles?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 06:41:14 PM »
I have not seen rifles set up this way, but it's done on saw-handled target pistols. With this type of pistol it moves the vent back farther and brings the balance point farther back as well.  The barrel would be moved back roughly the distance from the trigger to the vent.   IMHO the only reason this is done is to improve the balance of the pistol. With regard to rifles, I don't think balance would be the affected that much. 

I'm here to learn though.  Maybe someone has the answer.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:55:57 PM »
here are two examples target rifles with the lock mounted with the hammer to the rear

and

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 07:16:39 PM »
Pletch is right about the pistols. If the lock were mounted on the right side, it would be a lot
more in front of the trigger and the pistol would be too barrel heavy. When the lock is fired,
there is a "Bobble" that you just can't control. With it on the left side or "Backwards" there
is no "Bobble" The edge of the flint winds up in the web of your hand after firing. Shooting a
pistol is hard enough as is. Here is how mine is set up.

Whoops,I didn't notice until after I posted that my percussion converson is on it. But you get
the idea anyway.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:19:11 PM by Frizzen »
The Pistol Shooter

Kelhammer

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 02:54:13 AM »
Easy way to make a left handed rifle.