Author Topic: Red maple for large caliber rifle  (Read 5260 times)

Martin_G

Red maple for large caliber rifle
« on: January 22, 2012, 12:08:37 AM »
I recently heard from a buddy of mine who cautioned me against using any maple (red or sugar) with alot of curl (grade 5 or 6) for a large caliber rifle because alot of curl weakens the stock.

Is there any truth to this or is this an "old wives tale" ? I know little about the maple family.

Thanks,

Martin

Offline Mike Gahagan

• Mike Gahagan-Gunmaker
Re: Red maple for large caliber rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 12:18:36 AM »
As long as you have good grain structure,especially through the wrist,you will be fine.

Martin_G

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 01:10:31 AM »
Hi Mike,

If you're buying a blank, how would you tell if it has good grain structure where the wrist will be? I understand what you're saying about the grain but I don't know how to tell whats considered good grain just by looking at it.

Thanks,

Martin

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 02:25:58 AM »
Martin-
    You want the grain to follow the flow of the wrist, not be cross or musket grained. You can figure very closely where the wrist will be if you have a pattern for your stock.
    I have had several large bore rifles over the years and have never had any problems with the stocks, but all had proper grain flow in the wrist area.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 02:54:27 AM »
Particularly Sugar Maple, is multiple times stronger than any Walnut, figured or not.

What are most contemporary Magnum guns stocked with??  Exactly.... walnut.

Besides "figure" runs perpendicular to the  "grain" which is where a stock will break..... following the grain.

NON ISSUE!
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 05:18:00 AM »
And if you order from one of the better wood suppliers that are familiar with long rifles like Dunlops, the grain will be right.  Their reputation depends on it.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 07:06:41 AM »
I recently heard from a buddy of mine who cautioned me against using any maple (red or sugar) with alot of curl (grade 5 or 6) for a large caliber rifle because alot of curl weakens the stock.

Is there any truth to this or is this an "old wives tale" ? I know little about the maple family.

Thanks,

Martin
Large bore MLs? How large? 69 caliber? 10 Bore? 54-58-62 are really medium small/medium bores to the British of the 19th century.
If you break curly Sugar Maple its not going to be from recoil. I have a friend who built some Bedford school rifles with wrists about the diameter of a quarter.
Hard maple is probably the best stock wood used commonly in North America. Far better than black Walnut.
There is a reason bowling pins are made from hard maple.

Getting the grain "right" in a mail order stock, IE grain running right down the wrist is near impossible in my experience.  This is greatly overrated anyway. It may be easier to get if making a 1/2 stock.
Stocks with grain running straight down the wrist like the split through the lockbolt hole and down the wrist in quarter sawn stocks.
So I don't sweat it too much.
If wrist flow really worrys you ask for a plank sawn blank. Will likely be cheaper anyway since it will not show vivid curl in the sides of the stock but the wrist will be stronger.
Breaking  wrist in normal use is not all that easy.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:36:10 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

WoodHunter

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 07:24:52 AM »
This is Pacific Big Leaf Maple.    The grain runs along he length of the blank, the figure runs perpendicluar to the grain, or vertical.

I use this wood for big bore centerfires (458 Lott, 450 Dakota, 500 Jeffery, 416 Rem) and this wood is stronger than walnut!  Run a dozen rounds through a 500 Jeffery and you will wish for that big bore muzzle loader!

Just be sure you know the difference between the grain direction and the figure direction.

Yup, a few nice M/L blanks in the pile!!!

Martin_G

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 09:20:16 AM »
The stock will be for a 1/2 stock Hawken in .62 caliber. I want to get a stock with 100% curl (or figure). I do have some time before it will be built which I'll use to find the "right" stock.

Woodhunter,

What would a blank like you have on the stool cost on average? Thats exactly what I'm looking for! Is Pacific Big leaf considered to be Sugar or Red maple?

Thanks,

Martin

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 06:39:39 PM »
The stock will be for a 1/2 stock Hawken in .62 caliber. I want to get a stock with 100% curl (or figure). I do have some time before it will be built which I'll use to find the "right" stock.

Woodhunter,

What would a blank like you have on the stool cost on average? Thats exactly what I'm looking for! Is Pacific Big leaf considered to be Sugar or Red maple?

Thanks,

Martin

People are free to do as they please.
However, IMO....
A Hawken in 62 is a really bad idea.

Stock design is NOT meant for calibers much over 54. The modern hardware is usually undersized as well. If you must have one this large you need to make a Manton. Its correct for the period and place and will be usable in 62.
If you gotta have a Hawken make it in 54. Its what the stock design is maxed out at.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 12:06:53 AM »
Martin-
    You want the grain to follow the flow of the wrist, not be cross or musket grained. You can figure very closely where the wrist will be if you have a pattern for your stock.
    I have had several large bore rifles over the years and have never had any problems with the stocks, but all had proper grain flow in the wrist area.

And the wrist on a Hawken is greatly reinforced by the long breech tang and triggerplate.

John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)