Author Topic: Pictures of old Gunsmithing Shops  (Read 6231 times)

Offline Chris Treichel

Pictures of old Gunsmithing Shops
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:53:23 PM »
So I was doing some armor research and came accross these pictures in the Nuremberg hausebooks showing gunsmiths in their shops between ~1500-1700...  Neat pictures and you can recognize them using things like a postvise and screwplates... files etc
http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-71-v
http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/75-Amb-2-317b-109-r
Here are the rest
http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/index.php?do=query&mo=4&rs=1&tt=prs-jobnorm&tm=Feuerschlossmacher
blade smiths section is also neat... lots of tools depicted
http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/index.php?do=query&mo=4&rs=1&tt=prs-jobnorm&tm=Klingenschmied
What the heck... here is the whole list... basically these books show all the various guild members and or members of the city (Buergers) in their various trades.
http://www.nuernberger-hausbuecher.de/index.php?do=page&mo=8
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:02:13 PM by Chris Treichel »

mudcat dale

Re: Pictures of old Gunsmithing Shops
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 11:16:14 PM »
Very interesting.

Thanks for posting.

Dale

welafong1

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 11:17:45 PM »
to bad i do not read german can you buy copys of the carfts picture ?
thank you
Richard Westerfield

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 12:27:41 AM »
Neat stuff.  I'm suprised they show someone sitting while working.  I've always been opposed to stools while working.  They slow things down and make good work more difficult in my view.
Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:36:44 AM »
Thanks Chris,
I love the clothes.  Time to dump the Rev War stuff and get into the 16th century.  Man you could hide a lot of stuff in those pantaloons. And those posture correcting stiffened collars, wow.  Jim, you had to use a stool because you couldn't bend your neck over to see the work if standing. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

mattdog

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 01:24:59 AM »
Fascinating.  Time consuming too, will book mark until I have more time.  Thanks for posting.

Bill

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 02:14:57 AM »
I like the post vise in the first print and their use of files in both prints. I'm going to have to spend more serious time on these.

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 07:53:29 AM »
If you need anything translated let me know.  The link for ordering prints on the site doesn't seem to be working. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:28:33 PM by Chris Treichel »

Offline Jay Close

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 06:21:14 PM »
I was trained in a blacksmith shop where the Master frowned on use of stools. They were seen as inefficient. That was fine when I was 30, but now that I'm nearly 60, I find I'm using a stool more and more often when I'm at the bench. There is more than a little grey hair shown in those 16th century prints!

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 06:40:54 PM »
Ha!  Hope I see the day when I have a stool by the bench.  Good to see you here Jay.  It's nice to hear your thoughts.

welafong1

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 10:25:02 PM »
If you need anything translated let me know.  The link for ordering prints on the site doesn't seem to be working. 

i would like to get some prints how do i go about it i can speak a little German can not read or write German

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
At the top of each page it says "Bildbestellung" aka order pictures... Follow that link and it takes you to another page that says they will make copies of the pictures by request... and instructs you to go to the link "Antrag auf Herstellung und Benutzung von Reproduktionen aus den Beständen der Stadtbibliothek Nürnberg"" but that link does not work... takes you to a picture of the city and tells you that the page does not exist.   There are three more links at the bottom of the page all of which don't work.

■Gebühren für die Herstellung fotografischer Reproduktionen (pdf, 21 KB) (Prices for ordering pictures)
■Antrag auf Herstellung und Benutzung von Reproduktionen (pdf, 43 KB) (Producing and use of re
■Kontakt (contact information)

The text itself says that you need to ask permission to use and will have to pay to make reproductions for use in texts or other forms of media.  The items are presented for research purposes.  Apparently you can also search by tools in the pictures.  If anyone wants any of the accompanying texts translated let me know.  Their mostly pretty short and give a short bio of the person...

welafong1

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 11:17:15 PM »
At the top of each page it says "Bildbestellung" aka order pictures... Follow that link and it takes you to another page that says they will make copies of the pictures by request... and instructs you to go to the link "Antrag auf Herstellung und Benutzung von Reproduktionen aus den Beständen der Stadtbibliothek Nürnberg"" but that link does not work... takes you to a picture of the city and tells you that the page does not exist.   There are three more links at the bottom of the page all of which don't work.

■Gebühren für die Herstellung fotografischer Reproduktionen (pdf, 21 KB) (Prices for ordering pictures)
■Antrag auf Herstellung und Benutzung von Reproduktionen (pdf, 43 KB) (Producing and use of re
■Kontakt (contact information)

The text itself says that you need to ask permission to use and will have to pay to make reproductions for use in texts or other forms of media.  The items are presented for research purposes.  Apparently you can also search by tools in the pictures.  If anyone wants any of the accompanying texts translated let me know.  Their mostly pretty short and give a short bio of the person...
its a pain when when you want to pay money and cant the site does take you to the right place. what to about it copy photo shop. crop .clean it up there you go a lot of time and work but that seems what has to be done these days to get things done

thank you
Richard Westerfield