Author Topic: Drill Press  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Drill Press
« on: February 07, 2012, 06:14:46 PM »
   I have searched the archives and found some pretty lengthy discusions on the purchase of band saws, what to avoid, how big, etc. to use in the flintlock build, if you use one at all. Seems some do and some don't. But I cannot find much discussion on the subject of drill presses. Once again, seems some use them, some stick with hand drills, some even use the eggbeater type.
   But if you decide to invest in one, what kind of minimal setup is OK as a rule. I was thinking about a benchtop model. Any ideas on minimum specs for one in the application of building a longrifle. What do you recommend?
Eric Smith

Online Bob Roller

Re: Drill Press
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:19:40 PM »
For a drill press,get the biggest one you can afford. For a bandsaw,at least one that uses an 80 inch blade. I tried using a little bench top model that belongs to a friend and had a heck of a time getting a half stock cut out of walnut and almost killed the job.

Bob Roller

Offline rick landes

Re: Drill Press
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:22:58 PM »
A good vise with a tight repeatable x-y axis is essential IMHO. I like one with a built in light too. I set mine up in my workshop near to door so extra long pieces can have the ends pushed outside to drill a muzzle cap hole or spot a tang bolt.

If you can see it run, and put a long say 6" drill bit in the chuck. Watch the tip...does it move from true or does it cut an air circle with its wobble?
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson