Author Topic: Building a new upland game fowler  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Building a new upland game fowler
« on: February 10, 2012, 07:40:33 PM »
Just on the off chance that someone might mention a lock that I have not thought about I would like to hear folks thoughts on what flintlock would best meet my needs.

My goal is to build a fast handling upland game fowler. The barrel I will use is patterned after a early English 16 bore. I will probably use all English hardware but will use either curly maple or black walnut wood. Picture it as a new American fowler with re-cycled English fowler parts built sometime after the Revolution.

My current 16 bore uses a Chambers round faced lock and its very dependable and the only complaint I have with it is compared to the Late Ketlands that I normally use on my Gillespie rifles its slow! Probably not much slower but it sure seems to take forever for the flint to strike the frizzen.

Thought I had this but must have lost it when system timed out.
Another concern is for my old arthritic hands when approaching a dog about to flush a bird. I have gun on half cock, finger in trigger guard, hand around wrist and stretching thumb up and around cock. After a bit of this my hand really cramps up. I think a smaller lock might be more comfortable.
Dennis
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:51:58 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Swampwalker

Re: Building a new upland game fowler
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »
Have you thought about using the Twigg lock?  I've heard it's quite fast.  Also, the Late Ketland represents a lock of approx. 1790, is very similar to a late 1700's early 1800's trade lock - perhaps it would work, and as you said, it's a great lock (I've used it in 4 rifles).

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 11:45:25 PM »
I have an L&R Bailes lock on a .45target rifle, and it is very fast, a medium sized lock.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 11:26:24 PM »
Late Ketland or Late English Davis lock.  I find the Davis easier to cock when hunting as you describe and just as fast as my small Siler..... Icant wait to try out this Late Ketland that I am working on now.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline BJH

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 12:59:54 AM »
Keep the gun super skinny and use the Late Ketland.  Unless you can get one of Bob Roller's Twiggs.  BJH
BJH