Author Topic: German silver  (Read 2720 times)

woodburner

German silver
« on: February 14, 2012, 06:11:51 AM »
Hi Guys, in reading old posts before I start any building( upto pg.58) Historically, what period would german silver be seen?  Will I be chastised iff I use it witha late english/late ketland flint lock?  Style is open but am leaning to Bucks/Northhampton.  Thanks, Tim
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:41:23 PM by woodburner »

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: German silver
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 12:21:53 AM »
Although various nichol brass alloys have been know for centuries the process of manufacturing it was not really perfected until the 1820s in Germany.

Unfortunately that doesn't answer your question. The invention of a manufacturing process and the commercial availability of the product for gun mounts in an American longrifle are not the same thing! I don't collect or really study longrifles from the 1830-50 period but that is when I'd expect to see German silver mounts showing up OCCASIONALLY.

So ask yourself if you are building a flint rifle from that late and if all of the features, not just the mounts and lock, work together for that period.

The question about whether your friends will chastise you or not comes down to who your friends are.  :) If you follow this web site you will have noticed that there are a number of folks who regularly say something to the effect of "It is your rifle so do what you want as long as it makes you happy."

Gary

"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 01:38:00 AM »
Why not just use silver and not worry about it?

Even at the price of silver today, for a thumb piece and an inlay on the cheek piece, you'll probably have less than 25 bucks invested.
Then like the old guys, if you ever run out of money, you can pry the silver out and sell it!  :o

I agree with Gary on the 1830/50 time frame, and becoming more prevalent toward the end of the Percussion era.
John
John Robbins

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 03:43:15 AM »
Good evening Tin; A very small investment for coin silver is the cheapest way to go. I purchase worn out coins for next to nothing. Cheek pc. inlay fifty cent coin. Wrist inlay, five cent pc. Ect-ect. Turkeyfooter.   
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 04:16:44 AM »
Gentlemen thank you for your comments.  I generally go my own way, to
have something a little different, not necessarily to be contrary.  The
silver idea I will follow up.  I have an exceptional piece of claro walnut
that would  look good with silver.  Thank you.  Tim