Author Topic: 2012 NMLRA gunsmithing seminar at Western Kentucky  (Read 9487 times)

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
2012 NMLRA gunsmithing seminar at Western Kentucky
« on: December 11, 2011, 05:58:30 AM »
There will be more information in the December Muzzle Blasts and (soon) on the NMLRA web site but for now here is a list of the 2012 class offerings:

3-Day Classes ($350 plus materials) from 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday May 30th to 1:00 p.m. on Saturday June 2nd.
Traditional Barrel Rifling, Loops and Sights – George Suiter – New for 2012
     This class is designed to enable participants to rifle a smooth bore barrel using a rifling bench and traditional tools and materials. A standard 54 caliber swamped barrel will be selected for the project. In addition, participants will prepare barrel loops and sights and fit them to the barrel. Modifications will be made to the tang of the breach plug according to period practice found on originals.
     Class size will be limited to 8. Approximate cost $250.

Silver Wire Inlay – Mark Silver – New for 2012
     This class will explore a variety of types of silver and brass wire inlay appropriate for American longrifles and European arms. Students will make a simple set of two tools for inlaying the wire, and provided a good introduction to heat treating for beginning students. Stock preparation, scraping and finishing issues will be covered. This class is intended for both beginning and more advanced makers. Those with prior experience will, in consultation with the instructor, create a project suited to their interests. Participants will have the choice of using a “Quaker stock”, perhaps from a previous class, or inexpensive practice pieces of maple.
     Class size will be limited to 8. Approximate cost $60 to cover wood, inlay and tool making materials for the class.

Making a Hunting Shirt of the Period – Eve Otmar – New for 2012
     This class covers all the steps in making a traditional open linen hunting shirt by hand. This covers measuring and creating a pattern for the hunting shirt and then cutting and assembling all the pieces. Period correct stitches will be taught as well as different techniques in making and applying fringe. Depending on the student skill levels, some may not finish their hunting shirts, but all the basic steps will be demonstrated and practiced.
     The class also includes three lectures. The first is the use and techniques of natural dyes on linen fabric using period dye materials and techniques with time spent on hunting shirt color ways. The second lecture covers the various ways in which the hunting shirt may be tied closed. We will examine finger weaving, loomed and other materials. The third lecture will be given by Wallace Gusler. Wallace will deal with the possible origins of the fringed hunting shirt and the evolution of rifleman’s dress on the frontier and in the back country from the 1750’s to the early Revolutionary War Period.
     Class will be limited to 8. Approximate cost $125 for materials. All skill levels welcome.

6-Day Classes ($680 plus materials) begin at 8:00 a.m. Sunday, June 3rd and ends about 1:00 p.m. Friday, June 8th.

Finish What you Started – Bob Elka & Joe Valentin
     Returning from 2008! This class provides former seminar students with the opportunity to have Bob and Joe help them complete, or at least make a lot of progress toward completing any rifle, fowler, Jaeger or pistol that was started in any previous class at the NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar. We know there are projects out there collecting dust. Now there is no excuse, so dig it out of your closet and get to work!
     Class will be limited to 8. Material fee: None.

Engraving – Beginning and Intermediate – Mark Silver – New for 2012
     This course is meant for the student with little or no engraving experience who wants to improve their understanding of and ability to execute, the styles of engraving used on American longrifles and fowlers. It is also for those who have already had at least one course in engraving and wish to work with British or continental styles.
     The class will explore the elements used on patchboxes, side plates and mounts, including types of borders, scrolls, volutes, and leafage. Most of the class time will be spent in intensive practice repeating the basic elements of these types of engraving. Intermediate students will be introduced to and practice lettering of various styles, and the engraving forms found on sporting arms from British and Europe, including, if they wish, relief chiseling of sculpted foliage and borders.
     Class limited to 8. Approximate cost $25 for materials.

Longrifle Relief and Incised Carving – Jim Kibler
     Participants taking this class will be introduced to process and techniques used in creating traditional longrifle carving. Subjects covered will include tool selection and sharpening, carving design and execution. The various techniques used in producing both incised and relief carving will be the course focus. Participants will perform carving on provided “Quaker” practice stocks which can be kept by the student to serve as a guide for future reference and carving projects.
     Class limited to 8. Approximate cost $75 for materials.

9-Day Classes ($1,010 plus materials) from 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday May, 30th to 1:00 p.m. June 8th.

Stocking an American or English Pistol – Jim Chambers – New for 2012
     In this class participants will have the choice of stocking one of several styles of pistols. I have parts available for a 13 inch long swamped barrel American style pistol that would be great for hunting or a 9 or 10 inch octagon-to-round American or English pistol. Lock choice will be either the small Siler of the Queen Anne Pistol lock. Hardware can be either brass of steel. Wood choice can be curly maple, birds eye maple, or American or English walnut. The class will include inletting the barrel, lock and other parts and shaping the pistol to form.
     Class limited to 8. Approximate cost $350 for materials.

Stocking a French and Indian War Rifle Gun – Wallace Gusler – New for 2012
     This early rifle has a curly maple stock in the form of an Indian trade gun of the mid -18th century. It is a composite rifle with salvaged Dutch lock and English trade gun mountings. It is pictured in Shumway, Rifles of Colonial America, Volume II, pages 606 to 609, rifle #142. Shumway wrote a very short description in 1980. Much has been learned about this rifles make-up since then and it is the subject of two articles that will be published in MuzzleBlasts in the near future. The original will be in the class for study to insure the best detail. The barrel and lock will be removed for examination.
     Students will need to purchase all the parts of which some will require alteration done in class or in advance as per direction from Wallace. As in previous classes, Ed Rayl will produce the barrel from inch by inch measurements of the original. Wallace will provide measured drawings of loops, sights, stock profile and mounting details two weeks after the registration deadline. Participants will need to come to class with the barrel inlet and the ramrod hole drilled.
     Class limited to 8. Approximate cost $900 for materials.

Stocking a Germanic-Dutch Blunderbuss – Ronald Scott – New for 2012
     In this class participants will build an early Continental Blunderbuss using investment cast mounts from an original Dutch Fowler and lock from Jim Chambers 2010 class. A custom profiled 21 inch barrel by Ed Rayl will be inlet into a European Walnut stock. In addition to general construction techniques, a study of early European arms architecture will be covered. This project is somewhat less ornate than previous European flintlock courses and should be in the skill range of most participants having basic stocking experience.
     Class limited to 8. Approximate cost $600 for materials. Premium grade stock blanks are available at an additional cost.

Stocking an 18th Century Verner Rifle – Jack Brooks – New for 2012
     Participants will be stocking a rifle in the style of Andrew Verner of Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Using Photographs, measured drawing, and castings from an unpublished, original Verner rifle as well as a rifle by Jack, students will learn the architecture and construction details of this old master. Stocks will be pre-inlet for the swamped barrel and the ramrod hole already drilled. Jack will teach his geometric method of stock shaping to reproduce this graceful rifle.
     Class limited to 8. Approximate cost $900 for materials.
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Re: 2012 NMLRA gunsmithing seminar at Western Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 04:49:47 AM »
Don't know if anyone noticed but there is a new instructor in the lineup for the NMLRA Seminar --- Jim Kibler is teaching carving. A couple of weeks ago one of his carved rifles was a hot topic on the Contemporary LR pages.

Also the rifle that Wallace's class will be working from is the one featured in his latest Muzzle Blasts article (December).

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 01:36:48 AM »
Thanks Gary.  I'll give my usual seminar promotion again. 

I've attended as a student for the last six or so years and the experience has been wonderful.  Yes, it does cost some money, but if you can afford it, I believe it's the best way to improve your knowledge and skills.  It's amazing how quickly things can be learned in such an environment.  One thing great about the experience is that you can learn what is specific to the class you are taking, but also can gain a broader perspective of these guns as well.  There is typically quite a few original guns (often some of the very best) available for study.  Some of the most knowledgable students of the longrifle and builders teach these classes.  In short there is a huge amount to be learned.

These classes are great for those who are relatively new to this stuff or those more experienced.  I often think how much those who have shown interest and ability could benefit from and expereince such as this.   One thing for sure, cooperation and sharing of ideas will lead to progress .

Thanks,
Jim

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 02:27:29 AM »
Don't know if anyone noticed but there is a new instructor in the lineup for the NMLRA Seminar --- Jim Kibler is teaching carving. A couple of weeks ago one of his carved rifles was a hot topic on the Contemporary LR pages.

Also the rifle that Wallace's class will be working from is the one featured in his latest Muzzle Blasts article (December).

Gary
Gary,
Not to sound ignorant but could you elaborate a bit about what makes the rifle Wallace will be stocking significant?  I was visiting with a friend this past Sunday and we got around to discussing 2012 NMLRA classes and neither one of us could get ourselves wrapped around that rifle.  We could us a little inspiration and insight.
Thanks, Dave

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 06:33:33 PM »
Quote from Muzzleblasts article by Wallace Gusler:

"For those interested in the early phase of the frontier rifle gun, this example stands as a lone survivor."
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 09:43:00 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »

Offline Eric Laird

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 11:57:34 PM »
Gary,
Do you know if Wallace plans on modifying the stock profile for the class? I've been lucky enough to handle the rifle and no matter how I contort myself, there just isn't enough drop for me to get down low enough to see the sights. To look at the gun in RCA, it is nothing noteable (as Dave Rase pointed out), but for me, when I actually had a chance to handle it it just spoke to me! It's an emotional response, but it is on my short list of guns to build (suitably modified for drop!). Ed Rayl and I measured it - think it was the 2009 show in Williamsburg - and Ed made me a barrel.

I don't have the December issue of Muzzle Blasts yet - the kids have a way of getting the mail and putting it down someplace out of the way so I'll have to track it down - but I'll be interested in the write up. From Jim's quote, "frontier gun" is exactly how I would describe it. Simple, plainly put together, no refinements - something that you could understand being put together in an austere environment, reusing some parts and using easily manufactured parts for the rest. The gun I'm working on right now follows those same lines and is heavily influenced by RCA #118. That's another gun - albeit more decorative when it comes to carving - that has caught my eye as a "frontier gun". Unfortunately, Ive never seen anything other than the writeup in RCA and so have nothing more than that feeling to go on for that rifle.

For those that have access to it, I believe the RCA 142 /NMLRA  2012 class rifle is also in Jim Mullins' book "Of sorts for  Provincials" along with the Faber rifle.
Eric Laird

Offline David Rase

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 01:45:38 AM »
Gary,
To look at the gun in RCA, it is nothing noteable (as Dave Rase pointed out), but for me, when I actually had a chance to handle it it just spoke to me! and so have nothing more than that feeling to go on for that rifle.
Eric,
I am a big fan of the American musket.  Built several of them over the years.  I like the artistic license you have with mixing and matching parts as they might have been collected from the battle field.  I do have an appreciation for the plain guns.  Never looked at that rifle as a frontier gun.  I will have to go back and look at some of the references you pointed out.
Dave

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 02:10:41 AM »
I might be stating the obvious but choosing a "frontier" rifle by its looks is a mistake.

ANY rifle in RCA could easily be a "frontier" rifle.
My interest in 118 is the carving design and where it originated.

I would also point out that a lot of the wear and tear on old rifles could have occurred late in its service life. Old rifles/guns that were still reasonably serviceable, or not, were often given to young hunters.
A man I knew in my teens (he was in his 80s in the late 1960s) told me that as a boy he was given a shotgun that was too heavy to carry and he wore off part of the buttstock dragging it by the barrels.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 02:22:38 AM »

[/quote]
Eric,
I am a big fan of the American musket.  Built several of them over the years.  I like the artistic license you have with mixing and matching parts as they might have been collected from the battle field.  I do have an appreciation for the plain guns.  Never looked at that rifle as a frontier gun.  I will have to go back and look at some of the references you pointed out.
Dave
[/quote]

Dave,

Do you have the muzzleblasts article on this rifle?  Reading this will help explain Wallace's thoughts on this rifle.

Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 02:42:46 AM »

Dan,

I think in the context of this discussion the use of the term "frontier" in association with these guns is implying a likely early time of manufacture as compared to other know rifles (French and Indian War era or perhaps slightly earlier).   

Jim

Offline David Rase

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 02:58:11 AM »

Eric,
Dave
[/quote]

Dave,

Do you have the muzzleblasts article on this rifle?  Reading this will help explain Wallace's thoughts on this rifle.

Jim
[/quote]
Jim,
Sure do!  I read it once kind of quickly, I will have to reread it again.  If I am not mistaken, I think there is supposed to be a part 2 also.
Dave

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 01:06:54 AM »
I think, as Jim has stated, that the appeal of this rifle is the fact that it is a composite/parts gun and evokes thoughts of what might have been a product of necessity when compared to other very early rifles like the Schrite and #42. In the reenacting community, especially, there are folks who seem particularly attracted to gear that has a sort of "home spun" feel to it.

Another factor that will appeal to some is the influence of common imported European trade guns on the design of this rifle. There are some folks who feel that the long barrel on longrifles was, at least in part, a result of this trade gun influence.

Gary

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 04:34:10 AM »
One additional thing I like about this rifle as a project is that it exposes students to English and European firearms, in some small way, as well.  For those primarily interested in the longrifle, this is an aspect that is typically not given much attention, but had a large influence on the American product.  It's a good thing to understand where things came from.

Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Just bumping this up to a current page.  Perhaps it could be made as a "sticky" topic.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 09:06:29 PM »
Just want to put in my two bits worth here.  I attended the NMLRA seminar for the first time last year, and I consider it worth every penny and every minute of vacation time I took to be there.  If anyone is considering attending any sort of classes on the subject of muzzeloading I encourage them to attend one of these courses.

The instructors are top notch, and the opportunity to see lots of original guns as well as some of the finest contemporary pieces it worth mentioning.  You will also have the opportunity to meet some very talented individuals so share information with.

I am going back again this year and am looking forward to it already!

Thanks for reading!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 06:33:25 PM »
For those who might be considering the Blunderbuss Class, I wanted to inform that the barrels will be ready in  a few weeks. Also I have the Investment waxes for the mounts ready for the foundry. I was able to obtain a group of Turkish Walnut stock blacks, which should provide some excellent working wood.

As part of the ongoing study of European Flintlocks, I will be bringing photos and carving study casts of a Over-Under, Joseph Fruwirth Rifle that has been in my possesion recently.

NSBrown

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 08:25:17 PM »
I signed up for my fifth year at Bowling Green and look forward to another workshop experience. If you are considering attending, I will throw in my recommendation ... everyone leaves the workshop a better builder...instructors included.

Stewart

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 07:03:37 AM »
Signed up for Jim Kibler's carving class. Just ordered a few more chisels (sale at Woodcraft through Jan 27...).   I want to get better, and any longrifle classes are a long way for me but something I've always wanted to do and I ain't getting any younger!  I'm very excited for this. 
Mike Westcott

Offline aaronc

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 10:46:49 PM »
Hello,
            I'm interested in a couple of these classes. Is there someone to contact about details for sign-up?

Thanks, Aaron
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 08:21:55 PM »

The contact information is in your December Muzzle Blasts magazine and it is here on the NMLRA web site. This PDF is linked to the NMLRA home page under "What's New"

http://www.nmlra.org/pdfs/web_GunsmithSeminar2012.pdf

Gary

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 11:13:34 PM »
Registration will be closing this coming Friday so if any of you have been debating whether to go or not you need to decide and call Brenda Hooten at the NMLRA office. See the link in my last message for details and her contact information in Friendship.
Gary

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 12:33:01 AM »
I have removed the "Sticky" from this posting so it will now float to the bottom of the list. Registration for 2012 closed on Friday Feb. 17th

It looks right now like all but two of the classes had enough students sign up to meet minimum requirements. Those who registered will be getting formal notice in the next week or so.
Gary