Author Topic: A Question About Grooved Muzzlecaps  (Read 4775 times)

Offline QuanLoi

A Question About Grooved Muzzlecaps
« on: February 26, 2012, 12:37:45 AM »
I'm in the process of shaping the upper forestock of a Lehigh rifle and understand that typical of this style, the muzzlecap should be open ended and grooved along the ramrod channel.  My question is this:  Does the muzzlecap determine the height of the upper forestock?  In other words, is the height of the forestock continuous from the entry thimble to the muzzle?

Also, were rounded, closed end muzzlecaps also also used on Lehigh rifles -- specifically Moll and Rupp rifles?

Thanks in advance.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: A Question About Grooved Muzzlecaps
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 12:48:14 AM »
I've always made the nosecap after shaping the forestock.  Never wanted to shape the forestock to match the nosecap.  I'd not purchase a nosecap- think it would drive me nuts.
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:07:17 AM »
I agree Rich.  Although the muzzle cap has a shallow groove for the rod, there is definitely a transition from the upper forearm to the section bearing the muzzle cap.  And not all Lehigh caps are open ended.  I have photos of a Rupp and a Kuntz that are not.  But try to tell that to the Dixon's judges!  Ha!!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Frank

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 05:51:42 AM »
I agree Rich.  Although the muzzle cap has a shallow groove for the rod, there is definitely a transition from the upper forearm to the section bearing the muzzle cap.  And not all Lehigh caps are open ended.  I have photos of a Rupp and a Kuntz that are not.  But try to tell that to the Dixon's judges!  Ha!!!

Could you please post those photos. I was talking to Allen Martin at the 18th century artisans show in Lewisburg a few weeks ago and he also mentioned that there were Lehighs made with nosecaps that were not grooved. I am in the process of making a Lehigh rifle and trying to collect as much information as I can. Thanks
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:55:53 AM by Frank »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:24:18 AM »
Here is a couple Kuntz I think. It has as you can see a closed off muzzle cap.

These  are  bucks Co muzzle caps that are open ended.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 05:59:53 PM »
Dave, so some Buck's County muzzle caps are short, grooved and open ended? Could not find any info on this subject. Thanks, I was thinking about those very details..... JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

LehighBrad

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
I bought a low profile brass muzzle cap with a shallow ram rod groove out at Dixon's riflemakers fair last summer that has an enclosed brass end. I like the look of the wood showing on an open ended Lehigh style nose cap so I was just going to saw off the enclosed end of the cap and fit it to the forestock. Is this something that sounds o.k. to do? Seems that'd be easier for me than forming one from sheet brass. I figured I'd pin it in place with one or two dead soft copper pins in the ram rod groove. Yes? No?? Any thoughts?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 10:35:34 PM »
Personally I have never liked how the premade caps look on a project. I like to shape out the fore end then make that cap fit the final profile. That being said its your project and if the cap looks right and you like the open end just heat the cap with the propane torch (The wifes stove will also work but make sure she's out) and the end will fall right off no need to cut it unless its a one piece cap.
Dave Blaisdell

LehighBrad

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 11:04:04 PM »
Wow thanks Dave.....I never even considered that the end would fall off with my torch! Duh!!! That's why I'm the rookie here. ;D No hacksaw required...I like that.

Bernard

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 10:22:36 AM »
As far as the 'height' of the forestock is concerned I've always found that a slight taper,1/16th, from the height at the rear ramrod entry point to the muzzle produced a good appearance. Helps avoid a clunky or boxy look. These rifles are supposed to have a graceful slender look and that bit of taper helps achieve that look. If your cap is too high just file off some material and bend the sides in at the top to fit. I find it easier to make the whole thing to fit the stock after it has been filed down to size.