Author Topic: Your thoughts on a Reading Rifle  (Read 6349 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Your thoughts on a Reading Rifle
« on: March 05, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
I have decided to try to build a Reading style rifle. I am doing a little homework before shopping around for the components. I think a classic Siler lock would be right, but are there any others to consider? Any other advice on a Reading build? #28 in RCA is the one I'm working on. The buttplate is 4 3/8  x 1 13/16. Have not found one that size for it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:13:34 PM by E. Smith »
Eric Smith

greybeard

Re: Your thoughts on a Reading Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:53:43 PM »
This is a Berks county gun I did last year with a Chambers late Ketland lock that wirked out very well I think.  Bob

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 03:47:49 AM by greybeard »

Offline JDK

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:00:10 AM »
Unless you plan on going completely from scratch, check out Knob Mountain Muzzleloading.  Dave Keck has Fred Miller's old patterns and he had several good Reading copies.  He does a lock panel back copy and also inlets barrels.

Check out his "Early Reading", the "Bonewitz" and "Fred's Reading".  I am sure he can recommend a buttplate for you too.  I don't know of any others that even offer one Reading pattern and it certainly would save you some work.  J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Glenn

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:06:08 AM »
Great idea, IMHO.  I've always admired the Roman-nosed stock patterns.
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline JDK

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 03:33:09 AM »
Here is a link to the page with the stock patterns I was referring to.  There are also others on the preceding page. http://knobmountainmuzzleloading.com/FredMillerStocks.html

I only suggest this as I don't know of anyone else that has a decent Reading pattern (there may be somebody) and there are several to choose from.  If you don't have a Reading gun to handle to copy from this is a great place to start as you can only get so much from pictures.

Dave's work is top-notch as others on here will attest and his brass hardware is reputed to be second to none.  J.D.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:35:53 AM by JDK »
J.D. Kerstetter

greybeard

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 05:54:20 AM »
Here is a link to the page with the stock patterns I was referring to.  There are also others on the preceding page. http://knobmountainmuzzleloading.com/FredMillerStocks.html

I only suggest this as I don't know of anyone else that has a decent Reading pattern (there may be somebody) and there are several to choose from.  If you don't have a Reading gun to handle to copy from this is a great place to start as you can only get so much from pictures.

Dave's work is top-notch as others on here will attest and his brass hardware is reputed to be second to none.  J.D.

I"ll second that motion !!     Bob Reader

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 09:37:26 PM »
I started this gun 6 or 10 years ago.  The wood was gnarly and I made a mistake in my carving, put it on the rack and haven't touched it since.  It's a combination of Reedy, Figthorn, and Bonewitz features that someone might have used if they worked with them and then went out on their own.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 09:20:23 PM »
It has taken me a little while, but I guess a reading rifle is the same as a berks cty rifle.
Eric Smith

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 09:48:58 PM »
Berks Co is very large and includes several styles of rifle. Generally.... you have the Womelsdorf guns in the west....Your Reedy, Bonewitz, Fitchthorn type guns. The Reading guns.....Haga or thought to be Haga guns. Then you have your Eastern Berks/Allamengal type guns that flirt with Northampton characteristics among others. 

Offline JDK

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 04:44:56 AM »
So, what Scott is saying is yes all Reading guns are Berks County guns but not all Berks County guns are Reading guns.  ;D

Sorry Scott.  Couldn't resist.  We were down to see the wife's Dad but it was the day it snowed so much and we beat feet back up here so didn't call.  Maybe next time.

But anyway, Reading is considered it's own school and there are differences, nuances if you will.  J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline JDK

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 04:53:50 AM »
This is why I recommended you contact Dave Keck.  Several Reading patterns to choose from, quality appropiate hardware, usually has barrels in stock and can inlet as many or as few parts into the wood as you want.  His prices are as competative as anyones.  You will have your archetecture correct and can go from there.  If you don't have a Reading to handle this is the only way to go.....if you want a Reading.  Not the easiest to pull off correctly, that's one of the reasons David Dodds was so highly regarded.  j.m.h.o. J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 06:26:46 AM »
Guys,

Here is a gun stocking tip that you may find useful.  Looking at the picture of the rifle in Greybeard's posting - If you drill a small hole downwards just about at the barrel breech end/breechplug joint all the way through the stock, you can easily see the position of the ramrod hole.  This allows the gun stocker to shape the forestock under belly very close to the ramrod hole without the risk of the huge OOPS of breaking through into the hole.  This allows a very small distance from the lock plate bottom to the forestock under belly, and a much more attractive gun.  If you look at some of the really great originals, there is very little wood showing beneath the lock plate.

Oh yes -  the front extension of the triggerguard covers the hole later.

Jim

DB

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 10:50:23 AM »
That is a very good tip, James.  The rifles of Haga and Bonewitz are very appealing.