Author Topic: John Weston passed away.  (Read 5634 times)

john schippers

John Weston passed away.
« on: March 12, 2012, 06:39:08 AM »
For those of you that new John Weston. John passed away on March 10Th. He had been fighting cancer for 10 years and has now lost the battel. John was an instructor at the Conner Prairie arms making workshop for over 20 years. He has also made many long rifles and was the lead historic wood worker at the Conner Prairie Museum. John was a supper craftsman an could build anything that was needed for the museum and his friends. John and I bumped around with each other for 35 years and I will miss him. He was like a brother to me.

John Schippers.

Offline draken

Re: John Weston passed away.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 07:06:17 AM »
My condolences on the loss of your friend.  Although I never knew him, I'm certain the Longrifle community has lost a great man.
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:25:39 AM »
John, I understand how hard it is to lose a good friend.  I too offer my sympathy and empathy.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:45:37 AM »
John
I am sorry to hear of your loss . John Weston was a pleasure to talk to when I was at your engraving class a few years back.   A good friend like that is hard to find.

Tim

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »
John........so sorry to hear about Weston.   He was one heck of a good craftsman, from building a pistol to building a covered wagon.   I remember his from all the workshop I did out there, too bad.   He always confused me somewhat, for
such a big man to have a rather squeaky voice, nice guy.  I know that place will never be the same without him......Don

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »
A great loss. I took classes with him and shot with him. He will be missed.
Gene

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 11:09:12 PM »
The loss of friends certainly gives one time to think about who's next. The year of 1998 was the year of the plague for me. My mother and 5 friends and 2 of them in one day,the 2nd of April. One was expected(Cancer) the other had an early morning heart attack and his wife was too busy getting rid of his guns and truck to even tell anyone. I saw it two days later in the paper. He was my closet friend for nearly 50 years,

Bob Roller

Offline Howard

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 01:13:16 AM »
John was a member of The Indiana Antique Gun Collectors. We will miss him at out meetings as he was fun & interesting. I don't believe I saw it in the paper & no one has contacted any of us. I grieve for you & his family.

Bill

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 01:51:34 AM »
My deepest sympathy for your loss John. Try to focus on all the good memories to help you through this very difficult time.

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 02:57:05 AM »
John and I taught the rifle kit assembly class at Conner Prairie together for many years.  I can honestly say I have never met a more honest and caring person, and he was a tremendously talented gentleman in many different fields.  Our muzzleloading community and the world in general has suffered a great loss with John's passing.  My condolences go out to his wife Debbie and his many many friends.

Indiana

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 04:54:21 AM »
My condolences go out to John, his family, and everyone who knew him.  I was lucky enough to have learned a little from him during the class I took with him at Conner Prairie a few years back and from just being around him while in other classes.  He really was a top notch man and will be missed by all.  Rest in peace, good sir.

IKE

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 06:00:15 AM »
John
I will miss him to. We got sick about the same time and talked about it many times.He was GOOD to me.
Jerry Eitnier

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 09:00:40 PM »
Thank you John for letting us know. That is very sad to hear of John's passing. A truly gifted man like John will be missed by all those he touched with his kindness. A great many. I hope he gets a special plaque at Conner Prairie. He gave much of himself to them and us.
Darrin 
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline hornturner

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 02:06:49 AM »
John;
Sorry to hear that John Weston lost his battle with the diesease.  I always respected and enjoyed my contact with him at Conner Prairie.

Art DeCamp