Author Topic: Breechplug thread length  (Read 8681 times)

Offline Habu

Breechplug thread length
« on: October 02, 2011, 02:45:07 AM »
Please excuse me for asking this, I just wanted to double check. 

I'm in the process of doing drawings for a future build.  Barrel is a .62 cal Colerain.  If the breech is fit properly, there's no problem with a 1/2" of threads on the plug, is there?

Thanks

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Breechplug thread length
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 04:23:23 AM »
I've seen originals with less, but I'd not go less than 1/2.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Habu

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 04:36:08 AM »
Thanks! 

I was setting 1/2" as minimum.  What I'll probably actually do is shorten the plug to 9/16, then breech the barrel as usual (fitting plug face to shoulder, etc).  If everything goes right, I'll have a nominal 9/16" plug; if the Colerain stamp winds up on top, I'll have a little extra I can remove to put it on the bottom three flats. 

Offline Herb

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 05:09:29 AM »
Rice barrels are breeched for a 1/2" plug, and that is a nice length.  Much better than 9/16" like Green Mountain barrels.
Herb

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 06:14:49 AM »
Make sure you measure your barrel and the actual plug before you lay things out.  I got caught that way once.  I assumed it was a 1/2" plug and it turned out to be longer.  By then I had set out the lock and flash hole.  Not the end of the world, but not something I was happy with.  My own mistake.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Habu

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 07:22:34 AM »
Brian, I've had little surprises like that too!  That's why I'm still at the sketching stage.  Well, that, and because I've never built a jaeger before, or a rifle with a bore this large, and I'm still working out some things. 

I'm making haste most slowly on this one.  It will probably be another month or two before I settle on the basic details.   

Dave Faletti

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 07:49:12 AM »
I prefer the deeper thread depth that Green Mountain uses.  I can always trim the barrel some if need be.  I like to use all the threads on a breach plug. It does depend on the plug diameter.  I like the thread length equaling the diameter if I can get it.

coutios

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 08:02:31 AM »
  Just to clarify for those who are reading... Those that want a 1/2 inch plug are you speaking of the overall plug length being 1/2 inch or 1/2 inch of full thread engagement.. there is a difference..

Regards
Dave

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 03:44:24 PM »
Just a little something to think about.   Many years ago we did some barrel blow-ups.   We took pieces of barrel and breeched both ends, 1/2", which has been our standard.   Made a hole for a fuse, and blew them up.    Barrels opened
up like a banana, but, would you believe it, both breech plugs were still there...........Don

Offline Habu

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »
  Just to clarify for those who are reading... Those that want a 1/2 inch plug are you speaking of the overall plug length being 1/2 inch or 1/2 inch of full thread engagement.. there is a difference..

Regards
Dave

Speaking just for me, I was referring to that portion of the plug which extends into the barrel.

I just pulled the breechplug from the barrel on my current project (.54 cal, threaded 3/4-16).  The part that extends into the barrel is around .51" long.  Not being a machinist, I'm not sure how to describe the threads, but it looks like I have almost 7 complete threads on the plug, from the face to the relief cut at the back. 

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 06:46:52 PM »
Ok, thought it better to reopen an old thread than start a new one since this one already has some of the information I was looking for. 

So for a sanity check since this will be dealing with some higher preassure than a round ball situation... combining an English patent breech from TOW, platinum lined nipples (still working on a source), and a 1 inch 4140 Green Mountain .45 barrel (designed to shoot 45-70 black powder cartrriges). I will be shooting a paper patch bullet.  The barrel and plug are 3/4 x16 and the patent breech is threaded for .50 inch, the barrel is threaded .7 of an inch deep. Do I go with the plug that is threaded .5 inch as sufficient and shorten the barrel or do I need to get a longer plug?

Probably need to do some more reading... Yes, still doing research before I actually go ahead.

Any input on this?

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 08:15:03 PM »
This type of rifle is something I can really get into. The barrel you mentioned is a fine one. I built a good representation of an Alex Henry with a GM barrel beginning it in 2001 and finally testing it in 2003. There is an old axiom that says the maximum strength of a thread is reached when it is screwed into the depth of its diameter. A 3/4x16 diameter should be 3/4's of an inch long
but then,that bullet will move forward much easier than the  1/2" of threads on the plug will move backwards.
Contact Rod England at<rtengland864@aol.com>.He has the tooling for the late Don Brown's Alex Henry and the breech Don offered was WAY better than the TOW item.
Years ago I posted on another list that these English types of rifles are NOT Kentucky rifles and a good bit of planning and seeking of proper parts is needed. The slip shod methods that are seen in a lot of round ball guns will get someone hurt or worse with these guns. NO drum and nipple should ever be used and I have an article that was copyrighted for me by David Minshall of Research Press in England that addresses this issue.
Contact me at <wvgzr@webtv.net> and I will give you the article if you want it.
Rick Weber in Lenoir City,Tn has been a source of platinum base nipples and may still be.

Bob Roller

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 08:31:40 PM »
Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for.  I will send you an e-mail.

Online T*O*F

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 09:54:20 PM »
Chris,
Will your gun be a straight stock or a pistol grip?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 10:59:45 PM »
What is the standard for  breechplugs from Colrain. Are they all 1/2 inch or some longer?
Eric Smith

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 11:05:24 PM »
The breech plugs for a round ball barrel are nothing at all like the ones used in these bullet guns. They are related by being threaded and that's all.

Bob Roller

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 12:43:39 AM »
Straight rifle with schuetzen furniture.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:36:54 AM by Chris Treichel »

Online T*O*F

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »
Chris,
I don't know what your building experience is, but either the schuetzen or the Rigby are advanced projects.  There are very few matched component sets available and you can't just slap a bunch of components together like with a regular ML.  To build one properly; ie, a bullet gun, there are special requirements besides just the barrel and breechplug that are not found on other guns.  Knowledge of these requirements and a good set of prints locating your components is almost a must.  You might have to have some parts fabricated.

While guns can be made using a 1" barrel, they are somewhat of a handicap as available components are really for 1-1/8" or 1-1/4" barrels.  I've done a couple and they are a PITA.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 10:48:31 PM »
That is why I am doing the research and appreaciating all of the responses I have had.  This site is a gold mine and what little I can do will be by standing on the shoulders of giants (or having apples fall on my head).  Well, back to the books.

Offline cmac

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 12:26:31 AM »
The original I had put a link to in the antique collecting section under western NY attic find, had maybe a 1/4" of threads and I'm guessing maybe 1 turn as most of the early pieces did. Kinda scary but its still here. I too consider 1/2" a minimum

greybeard

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 03:31:59 AM »
Just a little something to think about.   Many years ago we did some barrel blow-ups.   We took pieces of barrel and breeched both ends, 1/2", which has been our standard.   Made a hole for a fuse, and blew them up.    Barrels opened
up like a banana, but, would you believe it, both breech plugs were still there...........Don
[/quote
Don; Do you recall Bill Large machining 1 thread off of a plug and likewise the barrel. loaded a regular lode and fired it. They kept it up untill the plug blew out
. there was inly 1 1/2 threads left on the plug when it let go. I seem to recall it was a .50 barrel and the results were published in Muzzle Blast.
Bob Reader

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 01:36:05 PM »
Yes Sir, this will be my third. First was a TOW fusil, second was a bunch of parts and a half finished stock (barrel inlet and some rough work done) I got from Kennedy. This one I want to do all of the wood work and already have a stock blank that will work.