Author Topic: Berks County Blueprint  (Read 7605 times)

Offline James

Berks County Blueprint
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:59:27 AM »
Dixie says they no longer have the Berks County blueprint. Is there anywhere I might find one? Thank you, James
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Berks Liberty

Re: Berks County Blueprint
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:09:09 PM »
I just make mine from the RCA books as many here do. 

Jason

Offline James

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 04:55:49 PM »
You are dealing with the village idiot here (and I don't even have a village  :D) so could you explain how I can do that? Thank you, James
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:20:28 PM »
Just get your parts and draw it out full size. That's what I do with every gun I build. Unless you use EXACTLY the same parts as the "blue print" it won't work anyway.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline James

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:25:18 PM »
Just using the measurements given in the headings of each rifle or do I need to be able to figure out ones that aren't given? Thank you

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 08:36:08 PM »
Just get your parts and draw it out full size. That's what I do with every gun I build. Unless you use EXACTLY the same parts as the "blue print" it won't work anyway.

AMEN!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 09:05:07 PM »
Just using the measurements given in the headings of each rifle or do I need to be able to figure out ones that aren't given? Thank you
You go by the measurements of the parts you're going to build the gun from.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline James

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 09:15:08 PM »
Is there anything in print that would help me get a better understanding Mike? Are you saying that the barrel and lock would be the starting point for the calculations? I'm competent in math, but these are new concepts for me and I want to have a clear understanding. Thank you for taking the time, I truly appreciate it. Thank you, James

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 09:19:39 PM »
I do what Mike has talked about. I use the track of the wolf catalog, with full size pictures of the parts and having made copies of them place them on butcher paper with the barrel drawn in and fill in the blanks. Profile pictures can be enlarge using one of the projector scopes on to a wall and give you the exact size you need to fit the parts you have. Some will take a picture to kinkos and enlarge the photo till it fits the dimension needed. If you are unsure with how it will hold make a Quaker stock from pine to get a feel for it. I always just shape and try the actual stock till it feels right vs the Quaker stock. This is the best part about doing what we do. The lay out and releasing the shape from with in the wood is one of the joys you miss with a pre-carve. Its kind of a spiritual experience with me i guess.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 09:56:13 PM »
Is there anything in print that would help me get a better understanding Mike? Are you saying that the barrel and lock would be the starting point for the calculations? I'm competent in math, but these are new concepts for me and I want to have a clear understanding. Thank you for taking the time, I truly appreciate it. Thank you, James
Yes, the barrel lock and buttplate are the most important parts that will dictate what your gun will look like. I don't know nothin bout no math, if that was needed I'd be out of business.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 02:17:54 AM »
James,

Mr Okie is working on a Chunk Gun build and is documenting the process. You will find the explanation of what you are asking for here:

Stock Layout

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Repair and Clean your 10/22 Magazine!

Offline James

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 05:20:03 AM »
Thank you all, it is greatly appreciated. James

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 07:45:47 AM »
If it's understanding of the order of operations and priority of design features that is worrying you I'd say you should get "Recreating The American Longrifle" .  Pretty good explanation in there of how to design your gun and how to adjust the dimensions to fit the shooter.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

DB

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 11:02:01 AM »
I wonder if he ever got started?

billd

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 01:44:20 PM »
Dave Keck has many different blueprints besides the few he has on his website.  I don't know about Berks county.  Email him and ask.   He's at the Baltimore Show now.   

Bill

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 04:28:56 PM »
I love the one he calls "Fred's Reading".  Would love to have that buttstock profiled on paper for a layout.
Eric Smith