Author Topic: Bedford Beauty  (Read 8678 times)

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
Bedford Beauty
« on: February 24, 2012, 04:19:44 AM »
Been playing with a Bedford rifle build the past couple months.  Scaled up and adjusted some photos from the Bedford book, hacked out a piece of sugar maple I got a deal on, picked out my favorite Bedford patchbox design, used a .40 GM 13/16 barrel and the standard L&R lock, inlays, toeplate and sideplate from sheet brass and sterling.  Shoots very nice, probably the most comfortable rifle I've built so far, too.  Not sure if I'm going to brown the barrel or let it age on it's own, the salt air and my poison hands seem to take care of that pretty quick.  Comments, constructive criticism welcome.

"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Bedford Beauty
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 05:02:22 AM »
Thanks for posting your work. I have to say, I have seldom seen a contemporary Bedford. This is a great representation of a traditional Bedford. Congratulations are in order for a rifle nicely made. I think this style of rifle is not 'in vogue', therefore, it's a bit unusual. It takes courage to build outside the usual schools.

I really appreciate that 'out of the ordinary' element.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline FALout

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 05:10:15 AM »
How do you like that rear sight?  I bought one a while back but have yet to use it on a rifle.  I like your rifle, been wanting to build a small caliber bedford style rifle, but always seem to get sidetracked to other styles.
Bob

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 05:12:50 AM »
Osprey,

While I don't know much about the Bedford style, this one is well executed and done in a fine manner.  An unusual style to say the least, all this coming from a man who loves the Lehigh's. (that would be me)

Nice.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Glenn

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 06:01:24 AM »
Nice work.  Very nice stain and finish.  Metalwork looks superb.   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline cmac

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 06:53:03 AM »
Nice work. I always liked the appearance of their locks

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 07:33:37 AM »
Hey Os.........that was a bad winter for Bedford's,  ......no ice..................Don

Offline draken

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 07:44:47 AM »
Nice looking rifle.  Nice metal to wood fit and finish.  I always found the Beddford style rather intriguing.   :)

An unusual rear sight, seems like it would be difficult to sight through, but what do I know.
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

SPG

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 07:48:01 AM »
While they may not be "in vogue",  I really like Bedford rifles. Maybe they are an acquired taste...

Steve

Offline JDK

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 05:46:12 PM »
If you like Bedfords then you need to make it to the Old Bedford show on April 14th and 15th.  I was there last year.  Nice show (but a really small) but there were a lot of original Bedfords there....they even brought several out of the museum.  There was a guy there who is decedent from one of the gun building families there and he was a wealth of knowledge and a fine builder of this style in his own right....can't remember the name though.  It's at Old Bedford village which you can tour unencumbered.  J.D.K.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 06:12:59 PM »
I too compliment you on choosing to do a Bedford - not many of those being done.  Your metal work looks great as well - it looks like you did the patchbox, and did a great job on the hinge and shaping.  A couple of constructive comments - it looks like you skipped a grade or three of sandpaper.  There were lots of file/rasp marks visible, esp. on the cheekpiece, but also on the forend.  Also, the shaping around the lockpannels looks awkward.  I would suggest that the shaping be done before the decorative finial on the wrists are carved.  The wrist above and below the panels looks too flat.  The wood should angel back away from the panels more.  All in all though, a good job, keep it up! 

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 06:29:34 PM »
Thanks all, some of the comments mean a lot. 

As to Bedfords, well, I'm odd anyway sooo.   ;D  But I too have noticed my two favorite styles, Bedfords and Maryland guns, aren't really in vogue.  Oh well, someday y'all will get some sense.   ;)

The rear sight is an experiment to see if I can improve my shooting.  My eyes and sight picture are definitely my weak point, trying to find something that works for me.  So far I like the rear peep style, at least for targets.  Don't think it's what I'd want for hunting though.

JDK, the Bedford show is on my list, but it's the same weekend as our youth turkey hunt and there always seems to be a kid that wants to go.  I'll get up there one year...

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 07:49:27 PM »
Osprey,  Well done representation of a Bedford.  They are my favorite and I don't understand why more
folks don't build them.  Your eagle is nicely executed.  Was this intended to represent a particular maker
or are there combined elements from various makers?  The Bedford show is worth the trip. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 08:49:38 PM »
Very nice rifle but I also agree with Swampwalker  :-* :-*
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 09:29:38 PM »
I'm enjoying looking at your rifle, and agree with Tom - it's nice to see a rifle that's not particularly popular.  But there's something about Bedford Co. rifles that really cranks me up!  I like your rifle a lot, and perhaps, some day, I'll add one to my stable.  A Bedford Co. rifle is an excellent place to incorporate a parallel octagonal barrel.  Yours would make a very light weight rifle, which is not something that appeals to me...can't hold them still.  A larger barrel would have moved the forward screw hole more into the middle of the nose of the lock plate.  I agree with you that that is a great patchbox design, and yours is well done.  I would have liked to see the stock scraped a little more to remove those file marks, prior to staining.  What stain did you employ?  If I may say so, yours is a little "muddy" looking.  But I like what you've accomplished and really appreciate seeing the rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 10:06:04 PM »
Hm yes, a Bedford....  I'm wondering if you have to crawl up the stock to get lined up with the sights, since she has such a large drop..?  (and to be able to use that peep since said peep in on down the flat fairly far?  I am also having eyesight problems (slow cataracts) and really have to study the stock for file marks pimples and warts, good lighting and study her at all angles with the light/lights.  My latest effort had to be scraped down to raw wood - scraped smooth and re stained and blended in ..worked out fine.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 10:28:42 PM »
Love the Delmarva and like your rifle a lot.  Your patch box is eloquent and nicely done, and I do like the big drop in the Lehighs and Bedfords.  My first rifle is a cross between the two, but when I bought the parts from Dixie in the mid-70's, they just called it a PA style rifle.  The big drop is comfortable to shoot and that rifle has won me a lot of prizes over the years.  That said, I agree with Swampwalker regarding the file marks on your stock.  If you meant to leave them as maybe an original might have been hastily put together, that is one thing, but right now, I am refinishing a Tennessee for a fellow that just had it built and there are file and sand marks from heel to muzzle on it.  My thoughts were that the fellow that built this  TN rifle is losing his eyesight and overlooked them.  Just some ramblings, but I do like your rifle a lot.

54Bucks

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 01:28:32 AM »
 Yep that's a nice Bedford. If it were mine I'de brown or blue the barrel. I know they eventually color themselves, but they always seem to discolor unevenly.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 08:08:53 PM »
I won't say I left this file mark here and that one there, but I knew some were there and didn't get too fussy on the finish.  Knew I was going to age it a bit and liked the character that stuff added, particularly on a rifle I plan on keeping for myself.  The area around the tang, throat and back of the lock panels I do need to work on when I do the next one, trying to figure out the drop, castoff angle and tang bend got the better of me this time.

Taylor I used LMF stains, the wood doesn't have a very strong curl and it dies out to nothing halfway up the butt section.  Piece I picked up for a steal and needed to use, and for some reason the super tight curly stuff isn't always a priority for me.

Rob the eagle is mine.  I looked at lots of originals and like to keep to the theme, they all pretty much used an eagle, shield, arrows and leaves in talons, etc. but I like to have it be my version of it.  When I draw that design that's how it comes out.  In a hundred years maybe people will look at my guns and say "that's a Ciekot gun, that's his eagle".   Good or bad, I think I'd rather have that than hear "that's a guy copying XXX maker."  Just my preference.  Next one on the bench is a MD gun, the eagle on that will probaly look very similar.

Mike R

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 04:54:49 PM »
Well, I have always loved Bedfords--and I like this one--nice job!  I might just speculate that the reason Bedfords are not as popular these days is two-fold: (1) they are a late longrifle style done mainly in percussion [although I have seen several in flint] and mainly in small caliber; (2) It seems few companies make the proper locks for them.  I have been craving one in .36 for a squirrel rifle....

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 08:23:08 PM »
The Bedford is a tuff style to build. I recently had the opportunity to do some work on a very nice original and I obtained a new respect for the Bedford builders. The rifle was very well made and handeled beautifully. Your effort is a good one and is to be commended, we all can use improvement so don't let some of the comments get you down.
If you build another look closely at all the pictures and originals you can, especially at the PB releases. Quite a nunber of them have a hidden release under the upper side plate at the butt area. The one I worked on had a fairly elaborate release. If I can find the pictures I will post them. ;)
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »
Nice job, I will be starting mine towards fall, I have a nicely figured piece of wood and a 46 inch barrel.  Should be a dandy if I do my part.

Brett.

jkanderson

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 07:19:53 PM »
Many thanks for the post.  Used to live in Bedford County and that's where I got interested in longrifles and rifle building in general after my wife brought home the Shumway books from Bedford Library.  Just built a Lancaster style rifle from a Chambers kit plus Stonewallcreekoutfitters.com's help (thanks, Troy!) and the Bedford is on my bucket list - thanks for sharing yours with us.